Hybrid View

Default Digital Cameras in the Movies

Being a bit sad, whenever we see someone with a digital camera on TV or in a movie we try to guess what it is. Sometimes its obvious, when its a frame filling close-up, other times the producers try to disguise it, perhaps by clumsily blacking out the name on the prism. But they don't fool us!

We thought it would be fun to keep track of these sightings on the forum here.

We also thought it would be good to record here, for posterity, the increasing number of examples where HD video-enabled DSLRs have avtually been used to shoot TV shows, ads and movies, or at least parts of them. The Bonus Features of DVDs or behind the scenes documentaries on TV are always good for spotting these.

So get spotting....

Default Canon EOS 5D MkII

To kick off with, the Canon EOS 5D Mk.II is being used a lot in the film and TV industry now.

For example, the Idents (those short bits between the ads and programmes that identify what channel you're watching) on Channel 5 were shot on the 5D Mk.II.
    Also, we're relaibly informed that some key scenes in the forthcoming Iron Man 2 were also shot on the Canon.

Thumbs up

A Canon EOS 5D Mk.II was also used to shoot the season finale (season 6) of the US hospital drama 'House'...
    'The easiest way for your children to learn about money is for you not to have any'. - Katharine Whitehorn

Indeed - there's more about that on http://philipbloom.co.uk/2010/04/10/...-canon-5dmkii/.

I don't watch House but I'll be setting the Sky+ to watch that episode. Its 17th May in the US, not sure when it airs in the UK.

Also, the Canon EOS 5D Mk.II was apparently used to film parts of an episode of the new series of http://blog.planet5d.com/gfe.

Any idea what the camera in Ghostbusters 2 is that gets used to photograph the painting? About halfway through thr film I think.