Smile Require New Compact Camera

Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked like a million times, but I need advice on a new compact digital camera. My budget is in the region of 250-350. Got a Sony DSC-T300, technology is good but the picture quality is not what I expect especially when it comes to take indoor pictures.

Your help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks.

Images

Hi,

there are plenty of models that match your criterea, so it's probably worth taking a look at a few models and whittling down what you want out of them. The Sony WX1 is a superb compact which is very basic to use, has an impressive sweep panoram feature (shown on the Sony advert) and auto scene mode. If you wanted more manual controls the Canon Powershot G10 can be found for around the 300 mark and is pretty much a smaller version of a DSLR, offering all the controls but not removable lenses. Alternatively the panasonic TZ7 has an impressively long zoom, very large LCD and does HD movies.

Where there any specific requirements outside of price and indoor shooting you were after?

Many thanks for your reply, I'll be visiting Japan soon and I will be taking some scenic pictures. However I've got two little kids hence many pictures will be taken indoors in low light conditions.

Which camera would you recommend?

The G10 looks awesome, but isn't it a little too bulky to be considered a compact camera?

I would like to have both auto and manual controls, but still undecided

Panasonic LX3 looks a good compromise between a compact and a DSLR.

I'm considering upping my budget to 420. What would you suggest?
    Last edited by erosennin; 26-04-10 at 11:33 PM.

Images

If you're looking for something compact with manual controls that takes cracking images I'd highly recommend the Canon S90. As good as the LX3 is it's not that much smaller than the G10, so you'd be better off aiming for that. You can't go far wrong with the Panasonic TZ10, although the longer zoom does limit the low light perfromance slightly. The Sony HX5 is similarly as good and has the same sweep panorama setting as the WX1.

I'd personally go for the S90 as it's a robust little compact with all you need to go creative when you want. By all means pop to your local camera shop and try it out to see if it's the right kind of size for you though.

Let us know how you get on when you buy one...

Thumbs up

Thanks for your help. Will let you know when I buy one.

Ok, I'm still a little bit confused on what to buy. I'm tempted in buying either the Canon G11 or the Canon S90. Now I know that their is a slight difference in both size and but both seem to offer the same specs roughly and the S90 does give you good manual control. I wouldn't mind the size nor the money knowing that I would be getting a much better camera in buying the G11.

In your point of view, should I get the G11 or the S90?

Images

g11 to me is the best but then again i like canon

I opted for the S90, as I wanted a compact with manual controls. As my camera skills improve, I will definitely try my luck with a bigger and more professional camera.