Images

Default iPad: Who's buying it?

Afte Dep Ed Mat had a play with the iPad, and was pretty enamoured with it (http://whatdigitalcamera.co.uk/blogs...-the-ipad.html) and a few photo apps making thier way onto the new platform, are any forum users actually going to invest in one? It looks like a decent enough idea to me, but I've yet to see that killer app or inventive usage. I didn't get an iphone until I saw the GPS/mapping feature, and I'm sure I'll be the same with the iPad. So who's counting down the days and who couldn't care less?

Images

I've been trying to kid myself that I wouldn't end up really wanting one of these, but I've finally broken.

However, the fact of the matter is that it's just a bit too pricey at the moment. Give it a few generations and I'm sure that the price will fall to a point where I can justify purchasing another gadget!

There's a lot of supposed promise that the iPad is or will be the new way to consume media. However, as yet, I'm not entirely sold.
    First of all I can access the internet on the go from my iPhone, albeit minus Flash-based content. The iPad will suffer the same issue as this... The solution? Look at the internet using my laptop, which I already own. Or, when at work, utilise my provided Mac Pro with an absurdly fast hard-wired line.
    The fragility of that flush screen worries me too (I've broken a few iPhone screens, and the replacement cost isn't much fun). The lack of USB ports limits the transfer of data. The keypad needs to be tweaked to be ultra sensitive for touch-typing at 60 words a minute or so.
    HTML 5 may offer some resolve to no Flash content, but only when people start to push forward with it hard. It'll take companies and fair wads of investment money to generate products, apps, games and subscriptions that can tempt me to 1. Pay up the initial cost and 2. Pay to subscribe/purchase apps.
    If I was rich I'd buy one. But only 'cos I'm an Apple fanboy. As it happens, I don't have loads of cash floating around and I think it's going to take me a couple of generations of product or a really special release before I go, 'Wow, I need one of those'. For the time being, I watch with avid interest at just what impact there will be... I suspect initial response will be more of a ripple than the anticipated tidal wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
    There's a lot of supposed promise that the iPad is or will be the new way to consume media. However, as yet, I'm not entirely sold.
    First of all I can access the internet on the go from my iPhone, albeit minus Flash-based content. The iPad will suffer the same issue as this... The solution? Look at the internet using my laptop, which I already own. Or, when at work, utilise my provided Mac Pro with an absurdly fast hard-wired line.
    The fragility of that flush screen worries me too (I've broken a few iPhone screens, and the replacement cost isn't much fun). The lack of USB ports limits the transfer of data. The keypad needs to be tweaked to be ultra sensitive for touch-typing at 60 words a minute or so.
    HTML 5 may offer some resolve to no Flash content, but only when people start to push forward with it hard. It'll take companies and fair wads of investment money to generate products, apps, games and subscriptions that can tempt me to 1. Pay up the initial cost and 2. Pay to subscribe/purchase apps.
    If I was rich I'd buy one. But only 'cos I'm an Apple fanboy. As it happens, I don't have loads of cash floating around and I think it's going to take me a couple of generations of product or a really special release before I go, 'Wow, I need one of those'. For the time being, I watch with avid interest at just what impact there will be... I suspect initial response will be more of a ripple than the anticipated tidal wave.
    Saying all that, I just watched the ad: http://www.apple.com/ipad/gallery/#ad and now I kinda want one.