Captured with a Canon 7D and telephoto lens, Jordan Lacsina's image of lava flow in Hawaii

Image: ‘Lavafalls’ by Jordan Lacsina. Canon EOS 7D, 70-200mm, 1/2sec at f/9, ISO 100.

For Monday morning, something you definitely don’t see every day. Standing on hot rocks in the blazing sunshine, photographer Jordan Lacsina captured this shot of flowing molten rock in the Kalapana Lava Fields in Hawaii.

‘I wanted to show the movement of the smoke plumes, receding waves, and the flowing lava,’ Jordan told WDC. ‘The hardest part of the shot was waiting for the exact moment to press the shutter and time the waves and smoke so the lava wasn’t concealed.  Not to mention standing in the blazing sun for hours after a 3.5 mile hike and nearly melting the soles of my shoes.’

Jordan took this shot using a Canon 7D and a Canon 70-200mm 2.8L lens. We awarded this lens a beefy 96% in our review, and for Jordan it was key to getting this shot.

‘This area of the flow was approximately 100 yards away so I knew to get the composition I wanted I needed a focal length of 200mm,’ he explains.

Jordan is a 19-year old photographer currently pursuing his dream of going pro with landscapes. You can see more of his work by finding him on 500px.