Hybrid View

Default Recommendations for 2 lenses to start out with...

Hi,

I'm fairly new here, I have been browsing the forum the last few days but decided to make it official. I'm from Australia and recently purchased my first copy of What Digital Camera while browsing at my local newsagent... and have been reading it ever since! Anyway, the reason for my thread is I have decided to get a Canon 550D. I've always been interested in photography but never owned a digital SLR of my own. I fortunately have had access to SLR cameras so I do have a fair understanding. I am currently using a Pentax K100 but would like to upgrade and of course have something of my own!

Lenses are my downfall... There are just way too many to choose from! I can either purchase the camera with a twin lens kit (18-55 & 55-250mm), or the standard kit (18-55mm) or should I get the body and select my own lenses that would be best for my interest? I'd like one that I can use for general portraits, landscapes etc. The other would be for my main interest, horses in competitions and water sports (boats towing skiers, etc). The lens on the Pentax is a Sigma 18-125mm 3.5-5.6 and doesn't quite have enough zoom or focus.

What two lenses would you recommend I start out with?

Nicole

Images

Hi Nicole, and welcome to the forum!

I'd always get a kit with a standard lens, as they occupy a very useful 'middle ground' as far as zoom range is concerned. The option supplied with the EOS 550D is a very decent lens, with image stabilisation built in, so it's well worth going for that.

As for your second lens I'd recommend something with a faster aperture if the focus on the previous model isn't quite rapid enough. The Sigma 70-200mm EX DG HSM is a superb option as it offers an aperture of f/2.8, meaning it can focus very quickly without sacrificing exposure or needing to bump up the ISO to compensate. The lens is a touch expensive at 800, so if you're not willing to spend quite that much I can also recommend the Tamron 55-200mm, which is 150 and performs very well for the price range.

Hope this was of some assistance, and make sure you pop back and post some pictures on the gallery once you get your camera. :-)

Thanks,

Matt

Whether or not you go for the twin lens kit depends on your budget. Getting the telezoom as part of a kit saves money, as it will be much cheaper than buying the second lens separately.
    However, its a budget lens and although adequate for most needs, there are better models available for the more discerning and critical user. As Matt said, some of these are pretty expensive, so if there's no way you'd spend upwards of 300 on a second lens then i'd get the two lens kit.

Whether or not you go for the twin lens kit depends on your budget. Getting the telezoom as part of a kit saves money, as it will be much cheaper than buying the second lens separately.
    However, its a budget lens and although adequate for most needs, there are better models available for the more discerning and critical user. As Matt said, some of these are pretty expensive, so if there's no way you'd spend upwards of 300 on a second lens then i'd get the two lens kit.

Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated and once I read your replies I decided to go with the standard lens kit with the Canon 550D and save up for a quality zoom lens for my main interest... Well I don't know how but I ended up leaving the store with a Canon 50D with kit lens 17-85mm IS USM. I finally had time to get it out of the box today and so far I am very happy... but I think I better start building up my hand and arm muscles!

Many thanks again for your advice, I will no doubt be back when it comes time to get a zoom lens!

Nicole.