Hybrid View

Default Another wot Camera question

I want to upgrade from my Canon A80 which I like apart from knurled function wheel on the top which keeps getting turned to the wrong setting and I like Canon products. What I want to use it for is for scanning or taking photos of pages in archives and books, rather than photocopying. Hand tremor can be noticeable and I can't always use a stand, flash is often not allowed and on the small screen on the A80 I can't always notice the focus box, nor if the resultant shot is out of focus, which means that I can get home with a few pages that I can't read! I started thinking about buying theG8 when it came out but still can't make a decision ..... Help please before another new camera hits the market to confuse me further.

I need to know your budget, and whether or not it needs to be small (pocket size) or you want any other features, such as a big zoom.

In general terms you should look for a camera that has, among its scene/subject modes, a text mode. This increases the contrast among other things to take text stand out more. Quite a few cameras have them. Image stabilisation would also be good to help reduce camera shake, and if it has good high ISO performance this would also help your available light shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Atherton View Post
    I need to know your budget, and whether or not it needs to be small (pocket size) or you want any other features, such as a big zoom.

In general terms you should look for a camera that has, among its scene/subject modes, a text mode. This increases the contrast among other things to take text stand out more. Quite a few cameras have them. Image stabilisation would also be good to help reduce camera shake, and if it has good high ISO performance this would also help your available light shooting.
    A three figure budget, not a four figure one and pocket rather than SLR, and zoom because I very occasionally take photos for publication is some learned rag. I have a retired Miranda 35mm and Yashica 2 1/4, which shows how out of date I am with modern technology.