Default What Camera To Buy HELP!

Hi i need some help here, i am after a new camera iv had a camera before it was a sony. but when i took pictures in the dark they came out dark.

i am after a camera which i can use in the dark so when i take the picture i can see what iv taken. what camera should i buy for this

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hi,

Not sure what type of camera you've had before I suspect a compact or what you're after. You provide no information about what kind of camera you're looking for now, or how much you want to spend, so it's difficult to suggest anything specific.

But let me say that, with a bit of knowledge you can get some kind of picture in low light on almost any camera, but no camera will magically produce what you want without you having some idea how to use it and knowing what settings to use. Again, with little information to go on, I don't know if you're trying to photograph people at close range or night views. At close range, up to about 4-5 metres, flash should be able to light people, though the background will be rendered black.

To record detail in scenes at night requires a long exposure time, so if using a point-and-shoot camera the first thing to do is turn the flash OFF. This will force the camera to set a longer shutter speed.

Next you find someting stable to rest the camera on, like a table, because your pictures will be blurred from camera shake if you try to hand-hold it.

Third, you might want to raise the ISO setting (you may need to go into manual ISO) which makes the sensor more sensitive to light so you need less of it to record an image. The higher you raise the ISO though the more noise (grain like interference on the pictures) will be visible. This is one area where the better the camera the less of a problem this will be (and DSLRs are infinitely superior to compacts in this area).

If you want to photograph people close to you in low light and record the background as well you probably have a slow-sync flash mode or a scene mode called someting like 'Night Portrait'. This combines flash with a slow shutter speed, so you'll still need to keep the camera fairly steady.

I hope this helps, but if you give us more information we might be able to offer better advice.

Hi there sorry if i never put much information on, the last camera i had was sony i think it was a T series.

i want to take pictures of people and places when i go on holiday. the max i want to pay is around 350. i went to jessops and they said i should buy the Canon sx200.

hope this helps

Thanks

The SX200 is a perfectly good camera (like the similar Panasonic TZ7) with a good built-in zoom range, but you still won't get low light pictures any better than what you've been getting unless you follow the advice in my previous post.

Do you take a lot of pictures in low light? Is this something you do a lot of? If so, look at cameras with a wide maximum aperture. The excellent http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...90-review.html, with its f/2 max aperture, would be one of the best choices from a low light point of view, and it also has good high ISO noise performance. It has a lot of advanced manual features too if you get a bit more ambitious later on. The just-announced http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/for...-unveiled.html, with its f/1.8 maximum aperture, could also be ideal in this regard, but won't be out till april, and of course we haven't tested it yet.