Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nikon v sony

Default nikon d3000 or sony a330 or 230 or 380

hi to all
    iam after a new camera i think i would like one of the following the Nikon D3000 maybe the d5000 but maybe out my price at the min
    Sony a230 / a330 / a380 my be that one bit out my range but i can still dream on

my question is what would the experts go for it will be my first dslr

will be taking action shots of dogs and just out walking the woods fields and day out with family and in house nothing major heavy as just starting out

also there is the upgrade lenses who is cheaper as Sony have built in is in body and Nikon in the lens so who is the cheaper for lenses my be -55 to 300 or 55to 200 or 18to 200
    what are the prices like in comparison thanks
    Last edited by pike25lb; 09-02-10 at 10:08 PM.

Default nikon v sony

hi i know it bit similar to my other post but just want to get my choice spot on as it involves money lol

Sony have built in image stabilizer in the body
    were as Nikon have there is in the lens what is better as to buying extras lenses

who will be cheapest over the long run with out loosing quality

say a Sony 55 by 200 or 55 by 300 or 18 by 200
    and same for Nikon if some one could give me some example prices i have looked but there that many with that many different numbers after the lens iam a bit confused with it all
    so could some one brake down just a few lenses for me to help me make my mind a bit better

with the Nikon to have vr on the lens as well thanks

i dnt know what happend in that second post but leave it as iv posted a new thread but please give me info on the first post thanks

I was making inqureies about buying a camera yesterday to a guy who services and repaires cameras and he said don't bother with Sony or Kodak as spares are a nightmare and expensive.

spares as in broken parts or spares as in upgrades thanks.

The guy said spares as in broken parts.

i hope not to be thinking about spares really with a new camera

Have you been and tried both cameras? I'd prefer the IS in the camera than the lens - I don't like zoom lenses and there's no short prime lenses with IS (or VR or whatever). If I wanted to use IS with the likes of a 50mm f/1.4 in-body stabilisation is the only way I'd get it. (or at least it was last I looked)

That said I don't like the handling of either Sony or Nikon so I use Canon and don't bother with IS! Think the shortest lens I could get IS on is a 100mm macro but I'd rather have it on a 24mm.

A lot comes down which you like the feel and handling of, but the consensus in the WDC office is that the Nikon is the better of these two. Its small. easy to use, has a great instructional menu system that helps beginners (but as does the Sony so far) but we like the handling and design of the Nikon better.

As for lenses, yes you'd have to buy VR versions of lenses for the Nikon, which are more expensive than non-VR, whereas with the Sony the IS is built in.
    However its not as simple as that. Nikon has a bigger range, (including budget and premium lenses) and sells higher volumes, which brings the prices down. here are also more third party options available.
    It depends which lenses you're after, and how many you plan to buy, but you might find the price differential not that great.

thanks for that insight its looking more like the nikon al the time iam going to have a driver around on sat se whats about thanks guys