Images

Default Zoom lens for NikonD3000

Hi,

I was hoping to use a relative's Sigma Zoom lens for an upcoming Tiger Safari with my Nikon D3000. However, its an old lens and when you attach it, you get a message to say that the lens needs to be set to the highest F-stop value (aperture I think?). This is not ideal and I'm concerned this is going to render it pretty useless. As its an older lens, it also doesn't support autofocus or VR.

Can someone recommend a good quality Zoom lens which will work with my Nikon, be suitable for Wildlife photography and won't cost the earth? I'm prepared to pay about 150 pounds.

Many thanks!

Luke.

Images

You're probably best aiming at either Sigma or Tamron, as a Nikon own brand lens will be far more expensive. The next thing you need to look at is how much focal legth you want. There are a fair few lenses that'll go from a reasonably wide angle, such as 28mm, up to 300mm. This will mean you won't have to keep your standard lens with you. An all-in-one lens can compromise on quality somewhat, as the longer focal length will shut out more light, so something along the lines of a 55-200mm option might do the job. Aim for the third party companies and you shoudln't go far wrong. The Sigma 55-200mm can be found for around 140 I think, and Tamron do the same focal length for a bit more. Give them a try and see how you get on with the weight etc., and stick some of your images on the gallery

Images

Thanks for your reply. How about the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 AF-S VR DX NIKKOR ? Seems you can pick that up for around the same money.

That would be a better choice than the Sigma if the price is right. It has image stabilisation (VR) for a start.