Images

Default Blurb Photobook Headache..S.O.S

Hi i'm about to engage in a photobook creation session, but i'm finding the thought of resizing images a bit of a pain and headache..

My images are from the Pentax K7, but when i import in raw format, they show up as 240 PPI.

My worry is that blurb print at 300 DPI and i need to resize to sustain 100% image quality.

I've worked out that 13" x 11.5" X 240 PPI = an image size of 3120 X 2760

If i used a higher image res will it look shat when printed due to the 300dpi bit?

Is this correct?

Does that mean my image will look best at this resolution?

Why is a 14.5mb camera not 300 PPI ? is it meant to be?

i'm confused as blurb require 300 DPI (print spec)

aghhh its doing my head in, as i thought i could just bang my images in there and off i went but, its proving to have more method...

Any help would be greatful.

Images

My images are from the Pentax K7, but when i import in raw format, they show up as 240 PPI.

Most digital cameras save the JPEG at either 72dpi or 240dpi (or ppi)

Open the file in Photoshop (or equivalent) and you can change it to 300 dpi using "Image Size"

If i used a higher image res will it look shat when printed due to the 300dpi bit?

Not really understanding what you are trying to say.

Why is a 14.5mb camera not 300 PPI ? is it meant to be?

see answer above.

i'm confused as blurb require 300 DPI (print spec)

aghhh its doing my head in, as i thought i could just bang my images in there and off i went but, its proving to have more method...

Any you using the Blurb book tool?

If so you should just be able to drop the images on to the pages to see what they are like.
    Fen .......... My http://www.fenris.co.uk/galleries.htm - My http://fen-oswin.blogspot.com/ - My http://www.flickr.com/photos/fenoswin/sets/

"I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked." - David Bailey

Images

i'm sorry fen, i didnt explain well, you know when you zoom out on an image of high resolution and it loses its IQ as its too small for the screen, does this happen if i have a large image but want it smaller on the book unless you change the the PPI?...ive never really thought about this process in length..

I just need to know if the resolution on the K7 can look as good on paper when applied to the book, if you have ever seen Tom Mackie's book on Landscape photography, the images in there are mint, and look a similar setup to the blurb layouts, it got me excited, but i dont know if i could handle 90.00 worth of muddy images due to downsizing done by blurb when at print.

If you have had one done by blurb or other i would be very grateful to know what the quality is like,i mean if you say its a good reproduction, i would trust someone of your knowledge, and proceed.

Am i worrying about something thats simple to do.

I just want a good reproduction...

I'm looking to do the 13" X 11.5 " size book with K7 images, they should be able to handle around 15" surely...

if thats the case do i just dump them in there and not worry or do you do any resizing, i appreciate each book is different.

thanks shaun2k

Images

Default Photobooks

Hi Shaun,

There's a couple of points here I might be able to help with. First of all, changing the resolution from 240 to 300dpi wont effect the quality, so long as the resample image box isn't ticked.

However, most of the book software will give you great results by just flowing the images in full size. Personally i've never had a problem with muddy images from over resolution and certainly the most recent albums i've created from Blurb have created pin sharp results. The only are worth watching is if your pixel count is too low, which is easily done for full bleed shots on an album of that size. In those cases you probably are best resizing yourself and using Photoshop's interpolation to produce a better result.

Hope that helps

Mat

Images

Yeah, I would agree with Mat - I've done just that with both Blurb and Photobox software, and been pretty pleased with the results.

Images

Thankyou guys thats a grand help, and good info from all 3 of you...onwards with the book