What Digital Camera Forums FAQ
Here you can find answers to questions about how the board works. Use the links or search box below to find your way around.
Forum Rules & Guidelines
Your registration as a User of the forum implies acceptance of the terms & conditions, and the following rules & guidelines:
1 Registration & Use
a) We do not tolerate dual identities - you can successfully use your forum identity on multiple computers, and there is no need to register multiple identities to use this facility.
b) User Display Names & avatars must not contain offensive words, unsavoury slang, colloquialisms, trade/trading names, trade marks, logos, brands names, marks & models, domain names, email addresses, etc.
2) We will not stand for abuse of forum users - debate strongly, but desist from the use of abusive and personal language*.
3) Do not take the law into your own hands - if you see something that you don't like, or you think we would not like, please simply click on the notify moderator icon () on the relevant post/PM/gallery comment and we will review and deal with it appropriately.
4a) No spamming - please do not post the same message in several forums and under no circumstances post with advertising messages or those seeking commercial gain of any kind.
b) Repeating the same information in several posts in one, or several threads, i.e. a recommended business, equipment, web site, etc., may also be considered as spam, and dealt with accordingly.
c) Spamming via the Private Messaging system or users personal email address is not permitted.
5) Do not post pornographic, racially abusive or any other undesirable or illegal content - this is a set of photography forums and gallery, not a dustbin.
6) Any images posted in threads should, ideally, be no more than 800 pixels on the longest side and less than 200kb (204,800 Bytes) in file size. Images that exceed these limits may be deleted, though links to larger files may be posted in addition to the image.
7) Links to 'personal portfolio & gallery' sites are permitted (within a post, profile or signature, and hosted on a commerce-free domain) but should be reciprocated, particularly when placed in your signature or profile, as a courtesy. Non-reciprocation will result in the URL being removed and an infraction and/or warning being imposed - persistence may result in your account being suspended.
b) Links to photographic forums and or/review sites may be viewed as direct competition and removed.
c) Links to corporate/commercial sites are acceptable so long as they are by way of offering a solution to another's problem, and you have no connection to the linked organisation.
8) Please do not post email address' on the forum. All forum business (questions, answers, etc) should be conducted on the forum. This contributes solutions to the archive for future reference. It also prevents your email address being picked up by spiders and bots harvesting data for SPAM lists, etc.
9) Special note on signatures and user pictures;
a) A maximum of two gallery/portfolio hyperlinks only in signature lines.
b) No direct links concerning goods for sale
c) No commercial links, or links promoting products, brands, businesses, etc., allowed in signatures.
d) As with rule 7, we ask for return links as a common courtesy - if you cannot link to our website from your site then please leave the link off your signature.
e) The standards expected of the forum with regard to posting rules are the same for signatures, so please no abusive or obscene terms, links or graphics. Likewise no inflammatory statements, brand or other evangelism or political, religious proclamations.
f) Images used in signatures should be no wider than 600pixels and no higher than 100pixels, the same size restrictions apply to text signature, maximum of 8 lines of text, or a combination of image/text not exceeding 100 pixels in height. In addition, images should be static and of a subdued nature that does not detract the eye from the content of the thread/post.
10) WDC Gallery
a) When 'rating' images in competition galleries users are encouraged to post a constructive critique when doing so, particularly when an image is 'marked down'.
* The forum does have a language filter in place, attempts to circumvent this filter are frowned upon, even through the use of asterisks, spaces, alternate spelling, etc. The general rule-of-thumb we apply is, 'if it wouldn't appear in the printed magazine, it shouldn't appear on the forum', it is, after all, open to all ages. However, appropriate mild language is tolerated in the Lounge, but nowhere else on the forum or gallery. Please consider this before you post.
Any queries, questions or observations regarding these rules should be directed to the forum administrator, via PM or by use of the Contact Us form.
Thank you for your cooperation.
This copy of the Forum Rules were correct at time of posting/edit, and supersede any previous versions. We reserve the right to amend or append these rules and act on any such changes retrospectively.
Selling of Goods or Services
The selling or advertising of goods and services on the open forum is forbidden, this includes affiliate links, links to sites offering goods or services for sale, auctions, etc.
Equally, posting a 'wanted' ad is also forbidden, as this would facilitate a sale through the forum in breach of these rules.
This site and forum is a free-to-use resource.
However, it must pay its way. As such WDC/IPC solicit advertising
from various entities, including in-house, promotional and from
the photographic industry.
User accounts may be suspended as a result of ignoring these rules & guidelines. Suspensions may be temporary, or permanent, depending on the situation at hand. Any attempt to create another account during a temporary ban will instantly render the original ban permanent.
Any attempt to create another user account after being permanently banned may be in breach of the Misuse of Computers Act (1990), in particular;
Attempting such unauthorised access may result in the individual being reported to their ISP and/or other agencies.
Requesting a suspension to be lifted can be made to the magazine editorial office via email, outlining the case for reinstatement.
If you have an issue with a given post, profile or gallery comment, PM, etc., simply click on the notify moderator icon () on the post in question submitting a brief discription of the problem.
Likewise if you have had a post removed the forum is not the place to discuss the whys and wherefores; follow the procedure below if you have an issue with a deletion.
If you have a problem with a post being edited, moved or removed, contact a moderator, or the forum administrator, via PM.
If you have a problem with a particular member, contact a the forum administrator, via PM.
If you have an issue with a moderator contact the forum administrator, via PM.
If you have an issue with the forum administrator contact the magazine editorial office via email.
Members who choose to air grievances on the forum run the risk of having their account suspended.