PDA

View Full Version : Canon Lens help

fishern
30-01-10, 02:48 PM
Now then ... I'm really starting to get into photography but am still a novice in many ways. I have a Canon 450D with kit 18-55 lens and feel that I'm limited by the lens somewhat. I have up to 500quid and want a zoom to at least 200mm. Don't mind too much if its something like a 18-200 or 70-300, it will be used in the short term as the only lens so needs to be flexible in application. I've seen the cheapest Canon L series 70-300 at 469 which seems like a good deal, although there are a few others further down the range around the 350-400 mark. I've heard mixed reviews of Tamron and Sigma with no two websites picking the same lens as the best in this group so am somewhat confused.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Cheers
Nick

Mike Lowe
04-02-10, 01:04 PM
Now then ... I'm really starting to get into photography but am still a novice in many ways. I have a Canon 450D with kit 18-55 lens and feel that I'm limited by the lens somewhat. I have up to 500quid and want a zoom to at least 200mm. Don't mind too much if its something like a 18-200 or 70-300, it will be used in the short term as the only lens so needs to be flexible in application. I've seen the cheapest Canon L series 70-300 at 469 which seems like a good deal, although there are a few others further down the range around the 350-400 mark. I've heard mixed reviews of Tamron and Sigma with no two websites picking the same lens as the best in this group so am somewhat confused.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Cheers
Nick

My advice would be to wait and save up. You're probably feeling limited by your kit lens at present due to limited aperture and zoom range. Sigma make a Canon-fit f/2.8 70-200mm that's versatile as you request, but it's about 630. The difference those extra two or three stops will make - especially at 200mm - are worth every penny though. It's main drawback, and the reason it doesn't cost more, is due to no image stabilisation system.

Take a look and see what you think: http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/recorprod/11/product/8772/cat/1305/ph/cat/keywords/recor/1/SearchFor/PT_ID/1/product.asp