PDA

View Full Version : Canon flash

bazzeruk
29-01-10, 10:54 PM
I am using a Canon SX1IS with a 220EX flash and am disappointed with the results. The foreground is great but there is no depth and anything over three metres away is too dark. I am using the Auto setting on the camera - shoould I be using a different setting or do Ineed a better flash?

daft_biker
01-02-10, 09:56 AM
I am using a Canon SX1IS with a 220EX flash and am disappointed with the results. The foreground is great but there is no depth and anything over three metres away is too dark. I am using the Auto setting on the camera - shoould I be using a different setting or do Ineed a better flash?

I think what you are describing is flash fall off. It's a problem with all flashes and not just your gear.

Flash exposures are influenced by distance from the flash - anything closer to the flash will be too bright and anything further away will be too dark. To get around this limitation photographers will sometimes use complex multiple flash setups and/or fill flash.

I'd suggest experimenting with fill flash in aperture priority to see if you can get more pleasing results that way (I assume the SX1 has an Av mode if you can stick a flashgun on it?). You should be able to control the ambient light exposure using exposure compensation and the flash exposure using flash exposure compensation.

bazzeruk
07-02-10, 09:22 PM
Many thanks - useful advice. regards Bazzer

Paul Nuttall
08-02-10, 05:44 PM
Good shout Biker.

Off-camera flash can be an intimidating area, but don't let the potential complexity put you off. The guy over at Strobist have a wealth of information and a great community so could be worth checking out.

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/