PDA

View Full Version : What lens

lol4989
04-01-10, 12:41 PM
Hi all,first post on the site. I have read numerous reviews and have decided to buy the Canon EOS500d(probably because I have had a Canon AV1 since around 1980). What I can't decide on though is which lens to go for. I am interested in wildlife photography and would appreciate some advice. I have a budget of 300.

Mike Lowe
11-01-10, 02:59 PM
Hi all,first post on the site. I have read numerous reviews and have decided to buy the Canon EOS500d(probably because I have had a Canon AV1 since around 1980). What I can't decide on though is which lens to go for. I am interested in wildlife photography and would appreciate some advice. I have a budget of 300.

Wildlife photography is a tricky one to deal with, as you're likely to want a fast, long lens. Pro wildlife photographers could use anything from a 200mm f/2.8 to a 500mm f/2.8 to get in on that action from afar and have that crisp focus with blurred background. The latter is likely to cost about 10K however...!

For your budget you're going to have to sacrifice some of the speed and some of the possible zoom, but Canon does offer a 55-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, meaning you can shoot at 200mm at a max of f/5.6 - not bad going as, when you're that far removed from your subject, you'll get amplified shallow depth of field. Not as shallow as f/2.8 of course, and you may struggle in lower light by comparison to the better lenses available, but not at all a bad compromise for the cash. It's an Image Stabilised offering too.

Check out the Canon site to see what you can find, though don't take the RRPs there as given - you'll find that there're places online selling, sometimes, for hundreds less.