PDA

View Full Version : Battery terminal rusted, i need solution

sheikhnz
03-01-10, 06:20 PM
I own a Samsung S1065 digital camera. It operates with pencil cell 'AA alkaline batteries..'
I have been using it for few months now. I m now finding out that battery does not last long with flash..
I checked the battery chamber of the camera after removing batteries it was shocking to see that the terminals(electrodes) of the cameras have deposits may be due to leak battery or due to moisture it is rusty but the deposits are still there. i dont wana mess up so i seek advice before ...@#%^&^

Please help me clean these terminals & help me increase terminal life. What is the proper way of cleaning rusty terminals. What solution liquid is recommended to be used to clean terminals.

Fen
03-01-10, 08:05 PM
i wouldn't have thought liquid was the correct solution. I'd use an emery board, or something similar to scour the rust/deposit off the contacts.

Then always make sure not to leave batteries in there when not using the camera for any length of time.

Mike Lowe
11-01-10, 12:21 PM
I own a Samsung S1065 digital camera. It operates with pencil cell 'AA alkaline batteries..'
I have been using it for few months now. I m now finding out that battery does not last long with flash..
I checked the battery chamber of the camera after removing batteries it was shocking to see that the terminals(electrodes) of the cameras have deposits may be due to leak battery or due to moisture it is rusty but the deposits are still there. i dont wana mess up so i seek advice before ...@#%^&^

Please help me clean these terminals & help me increase terminal life. What is the proper way of cleaning rusty terminals. What solution liquid is recommended to be used to clean terminals.

As with all electronic devices you'll want to avoid liquid solutions, not least because liquid+electronics tend not to mix but because chemical mixtures (battery and whatever you're intending to use) could have an unknown consequence. I'm not a chemist, but I wouldn't recommend experimenting with battery acid and other chemicals!

The simplest solution is wire wool or similar. Of course it may be tricky to access a deep cavity such as the battery chamber - you'll probably need to be inventive with some kind of toothbrush/stick creation here. Do not disassemble the camera itself as this will void the warranty and you could quite easily break something too. I've heard people suggest a coating of vaseline will protect from rust or similar - but this is best kept for external, outdoor devices. Your camera, for the majority of its life, shhould be holed up indoors in the same warm-ish temperatures that you live in.

See what you can do and I'd suggest changing the rechargeable AA batteries too as it sounds like they're running low and not able to charge to full capacity any more.

Luis_Rubim
12-01-10, 09:40 PM
...or a bit of WD40 applied to a cloth or cotton bud. WD40 is safe to use with electronics if carefully and mindfully applied. It works fine for me. For a camera's contacts I would spray a bit onto a cloth or cotton bud and clean the contacts, it's brilliant for removing rust and keeping things rust free. Just make sure that you don't apply any in excess.

PeterPhotos
10-01-11, 04:19 PM
Do not use wire wool as it will leave fine bits of wool behind which will rust as well. If you can get it, try Electrlube but failing that use WD40 on a cotton bud. If you have to use something abrasive use fine emery or sand paper and vacuum out the dust. If the fault is due to batteries try a better make.