PDA

View Full Version : Camera for winter sports

The Gidfather
29-12-09, 11:18 AM
Hi,
I'm looking to get a new camera for my snowboarding holiday in a couple of weeks, but was wondering if I would need to get a "tough" digital camera, or whether it'd be OK with a normal one? Reason I ask is that my old Finepix A303 has never worked 100% since a snowboarding trip 2 years ago when I took pics at about -10*!

Looking to spend up to about 250 on a camera, the "tough" ones I had in mind were: the Pentax Optio W80, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT1, or Olympus mju tough-8000.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike Lowe
11-01-10, 12:01 PM
Hi,
I'm looking to get a new camera for my snowboarding holiday in a couple of weeks, but was wondering if I would need to get a "tough" digital camera, or whether it'd be OK with a normal one? Reason I ask is that my old Finepix A303 has never worked 100% since a snowboarding trip 2 years ago when I took pics at about -10*!

Looking to spend up to about 250 on a camera, the "tough" ones I had in mind were: the Pentax Optio W80, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT1, or Olympus mju tough-8000.

Any advice appreciated.

It's worth checking the operating temperatures of cameras and how cold it's likely to be when you're away. Snowboarding tends to be a strange one as it's freezing cold yet sunny, and there aren't many places you can get sunburn in -5C! Usual camera operating temperatures are 0-40C, colder or hotter can cause them to cease functioning though they'll usually return to usual normal when at a 'normal' temperature again.

Also, based on my girlfriend breaking her wrist when boarding for a week, I'd say the potential impact is enough to more than crack a camera.

Olympus are certainly the front runners in terms of 'Tough' cameras, and despite some qualms with image quality and usability, they're a fair half-way meet for what you're looking for. (Note they take xD cards, not SD, just in case you happen to already have plenty of SD memory hanging around that you won't be able to use).