PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a camera with a good super macro function

katcross
25-03-14, 02:16 PM
Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I work in a microscopy lab but often users need good quality, close-up images of samples which are too large to fully get in the field of view under a microscope.
I am looking for a digital camera with a great super macro function that users will find easy and intuitive to use. It needs to be able to be mounted to a tripod and have very true-to-life colour. Preferably under 300.
Any recommendations?
Many thanks for your help.

Huw Williams
27-03-14, 08:23 AM
Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I work in a microscopy lab but often users need good quality, close-up images of samples which are too large to fully get in the field of view under a microscope.
I am looking for a digital camera with a great super macro function that users will find easy and intuitive to use. It needs to be able to be mounted to a tripod and have very true-to-life colour. Preferably under 300.
Any recommendations?
Many thanks for your help.

There's always the 'price' thing. Would you buy a scientific instrument like a precision microscope with a specifier that it should cost less than 300? Since it is for a business you will be claiming the VAT back and getting 100% tax relief on it in all probability, so the budget you have set is very low in today's world. You seem to be somewhat flexible though, which is a good thing.

That aside, what about a compact camera like a Panasonic TZ35? This meets all your requirements I think, but possibly not the super part of super-macro. Otherwise one of mine fits the bill, apart from the bill that is, and it is the Fuji X20 which certainly does have a very good super-macro mode. So much so that I have to be careful not to knock the lens glass when hand held. Fuji do a very good value three year extension on the warranty in-house as well.