PDA

View Full Version : Should You Rate Your Own Photos

Tillerykid
15-12-13, 10:25 PM
I've noticed in the Galleries that some photographer's star their own work. Is this the right thing to do? what do you think?
ATB
TK

Alfoto
16-12-13, 01:20 AM
Hi TK ........I'm not sure that rating (high or low) is worth anything anyway unless its backed up by contructive advice or the very least a reason for liking an image. As for rating ones own images I wasn't even aware it was possible........it certainly isn't something I'd consider as being useful, and in my humble opinion renders the star ratings as virtually meaningless. Something that should be addressed and well done for bringing it to the forum to raise awareness!

Tillerykid
16-12-13, 01:32 AM
Hi Alf, Glad your still around, yes if you click on the "Star Rating Downward Pointing Sign" you will see "View Other Members Ratings" click on that and it will show who has rated your shot. You have to sign in to do that.
ATB
TK

Alfoto
17-12-13, 11:29 PM
TK ....Many Thanks for the explanation I now see exactly what and who you are referring to. It would be good to get a view from the administrators too!

Tillerykid
18-12-13, 01:54 AM
Actually there are a few that do it, don't understand it myself. A bit vain I think.
ATB
TK

NRoberts
18-12-13, 11:08 AM
Don't think the ratings really do anything, so not sure it matters. They're there to help the photographer - it hardly does that if people rate their own!

graham_c
18-12-13, 01:44 PM
This caused a bit rammy a year or so back, A forum member Micklemass gave some low grade marks to other peoples photos and gave his own high stars, and he got flung off the site for it. I think the very fact we put our photos on a site means we think they are good anyway. I was going to give a photo 5 stars last week but the person had voted for himself so I didn't bother

graham_c
18-12-13, 01:47 PM
TK
I just noticed you have 205 posts to your credit, and you are still classed as a beginner?

Tillerykid
18-12-13, 05:00 PM
TK
I just noticed you have 205 posts to your credit, and you are still classed as a beginner?
What does that mean?
ATB
TK

Tillerykid
18-12-13, 05:09 PM
Don't think the ratings really do anything, so not sure it matters. They're there to help the photographer - it hardly does that if people rate their own!

Can't this be put forward to your January meeting, the site surely could be altered so you could not vote for your own photos. As I said before the site needs updating, I don't mean that in a bad way, however, maintenance and updating seem very rare.
All The Best
TK

graham_c
18-12-13, 05:35 PM
What does that mean?
ATB
TK

The more forum posts you do the higher your rating should be ( or it used to work like that)

Alfoto
18-12-13, 09:31 PM
I agree with TK. Surely its not impossible to simply disable "own star rating" and thus deter would be abusers of the system.

NRoberts
18-12-13, 09:51 PM
Well it's not really anything to do with me, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to actually get the tech guys to make changes. I really wouldn't prioritise this over other things personally, I can't see that it really matters.

Tillerykid
18-12-13, 10:14 PM
Well it's not really anything to do with me, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to actually get the tech guys to make changes.
Changes, What changes.
ATB
TK

Tillerykid
18-12-13, 11:15 PM
What I'm trying to say Mr Roberts is, "Scenario" you are the boss of WDC, I'm the tech guy, you ask me to make a change I do it. Since joining the site I have not seen any changes, if new ideas are put forward, the wheels of change seem to take ages to turn.
All The Best
TK

graham_c
19-12-13, 09:13 AM
Why not just disable the whole star system?

Tillerykid
19-12-13, 11:31 AM
Hi Graham, again disable is a new idea/suggestion as is disable "own star rating" as is Photo Of The Week and probably many more I'm unaware of. However, it seems to me that excuse's like Tech Guys, Meetings etc are the most likely answers than right we will try that idea/suggestion. Mike said once that we are losing members, maybe this is why.
ATB
TK

graham_c
19-12-13, 03:28 PM
hi TK

I noticed the site falling away round about the time Mickelmass got tossed of. When Micklemass down marked other photos,it galvanised all the members to help each other . Members used to look in to see who he was down marking, and to see how other members were reacting, Don't get me wrong I deplore what he was doing but he got the sit buzzing... Graham

Alfoto
19-12-13, 11:21 PM
Well it's not really anything to do with me, but you wouldn't believe how hard it is to actually get the tech guys to make changes. I really wouldn't prioritise this over other things personally, I can't see that it really matters.

I think the fact that we have raised the issue and continue to discuss it in depth and at length is a fair indication that it does matter! To us the site users at least.

Tillerykid
20-12-13, 12:54 AM
Just posted a new thread wishing everyone a Merry Xmas, however it was not allowed on the site maybe I'm banned. So I'll try here, "Well that's me done for 2013, no more photo's or rants until 2014. Therefore, I'd like to take the opportunity to wish all the members and staff of the WDC Website a Merry Xmas And Happy New Year".
Best Wishes
TK

graham_c
21-12-13, 03:26 PM
Merry Christmas to you and yours TK... Graham.

hartley353
21-12-13, 10:03 PM
The only use I can see for the stars is that it allows non members to look at the category, and then pull up the graded images rather than to troll through every one, that may give them a quick synopsis of what is happening.

TheFatControlleR
22-12-13, 10:47 AM
What I'm trying to say Mr Roberts is, "Scenario" you are the boss of WDC, I'm the tech guy, you ask me to make a change I do it. Since joining the site I have not seen any changes, if new ideas are put forward, the wheels of change seem to take ages to turn.
All The Best
TK

Such is the reality of an organisation of many titles, hundreds of staff, several sites across more than one continent with centralised IT with prioritised workloads.

NRoberts
22-12-13, 10:29 PM
I think the fact that we have raised the issue and continue to discuss it in depth and at length is a fair indication that it does matter! To us the site users at least.

And as another site user, I don't see it as remotely a priority - it really, really doesn't matter. Who cares if people rate their own pics? What possible difference can it make to anyone? I just don't understand the issue.

NRoberts
22-12-13, 10:40 PM
All The Best
TK

Sorry, but that's an incredibly naive view of the way things work in multinationals. I want a change, I have to put a change request in signed off by somebody in my own hierarchy, which eventually gets considered by the IT hierarchy. Small changes are pobably the hardest of them all, not really worth doing on their own, so they only get considered as part of a package - which means they wait a while. A long while...

Absolutely ANY changes will have to go through a beaurocratic process far in excess of the time needed for the change, if my experience of other multinationals is anything to go by - and it historically seems to be fairly accurate where IPC are concerned. Thus my position is that as members, we should only ask for changes that actually matter to the usability of the site.

Tillerykid
23-12-13, 11:05 AM
Well there we have it, a good discussion had by all. For those who contributed with points of view I thank you. As I started the thread I think its 50/50 in if its right or wrong from the opinions expressed. Personally I think its a bit vain to star your own work and the best way for someone like me to progress is through critiques from other members.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
TK

NRoberts
23-12-13, 12:17 PM
Personally I think its a bit vain to star your own work and the best way for someone like me to progress is through critiques from other members.
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
TK

I couldn't agree more - I would add "sad and pathetic", TBH, but I don't see that it hurts anyone apart from those actually doing it. ;)

Tillerykid
11-01-14, 04:28 PM
I've noticed in the Galleries that some photographer's star their own work. Is this the right thing to do? what do you think?
ATB
TK

Hi Everyone,
I'm in a good mood following the news I had yesterday, it came in email form, informing me that one of my photos will appear in a top selling photography magazine. However, I'm like a dog with a bone again after noticing yet another photographer rating their own shots.
I find this very annoying, as I don't think the system was intended to work that way. I know a few others felt the same way when I raised the issue last year, so I'm asking the site administrators once again to put a system in place where this CANNOT happen.
I think in the sites sister site Amateur Photographer this cannot happen so please can it be the same on here.
I rated a photograph yesterday as FIVE STARS and it thoroughly deserved it, however, the man/woman rating their own shot as 5 stars, is not in the same league. I know one mans meat is another mans poison, however, this misuse of the site should not be tolerated.
That's My View And I Hope You Share It
All The Best
TK

hartley353
11-01-14, 07:44 PM
Hi TK well done with the publishing will you get a fee?. Don,t let the stars bug you its not a big deal, a great shot will always stand out, you can't make it better with added stars, and if folks are fooling themselves it is only them that are being hurt....Regards Mike.

Tillerykid
11-01-14, 08:53 PM
Hi TK well done with the publishing will you get a fee?. .

Hi Mike,
I wish, no I submitted the Durdle Dor shot to a photography magazine, and they contacted me yesterday asking for a high res shot and various information so it can go on file ready for publication. When I know its deffo, I'll leave more info. Don't want to get egg on my face, hope you are well.
ATB
TK