PDA

View Full Version : Picture Of The Day/Week/Month

Tillerykid
01-12-13, 05:27 PM
On another site I visited, they have a "Picture Of The Day" could we have the same on here please. One of the sites administrators could choose the winner, if not I'm willing to start it. We could then alternate the judges weekly by using a rota, Me (TK), Alf, Mike (Hartley), Graham C, Wave and any other interested parties.
It does not have to be daily it could be weekly, and the winner could come from any of our Galleries. What do you think.
All The Best
TK

Alfoto
01-12-13, 11:00 PM
I think it's a great Idea, I'll second it!

Tillerykid
01-12-13, 11:06 PM
Thanks Alf, I thought it would add to the site.
ATB
TK

hartley353
02-12-13, 09:03 AM
Its a good idea Tk, but have we enough regular contributors to make it work, keeping the judging fair may be difficult, I watched a xmas competition on an other site and witnessed very unusual voting on some images, it has even happened on this site when contributors have voted for their own images many times. Some thing is causing people to join and not stay with the site has any one got ideas on this.....Mike.

Tillerykid
02-12-13, 09:54 AM
Thanks Mike, bit of a mixed bag of thoughts there, however, if its not tried how do we know if it will work or not. As far as contributors, I think there's more than enough ~ TK, Alf, Hartley, JTom, Zoritza, Fuzzypiggy, Aidys, Graham C, Brian Bull, Simon Bull, Solo1, Seagull, Kenwil, Mike Ankcorn and Wave. And that's just off the top of my head, hopefully one of the administrator's could set it up and judge, if not I'm up for it, and it looks if Alf's interested as well.
ATB
TK

graham_c
02-12-13, 02:09 PM
They had a similar thing here. Every month the WDC team put a photo from the site on their email, only reason I know this is one of mine was on it and Aidys told me about it.

I think it's a good idea but, only if a staff member or members selects the photo. Good luck ... Graham

Tillerykid
02-12-13, 05:05 PM
Thanks Graham,
All The Best
TK

Tillerykid
02-12-13, 05:17 PM
I've posted this on "Feedback & Suggestions".

On another site I visited, they have a "Picture Of The Day" could we have similar on here please. Hopefully one of the sites administrators woud choose the winner,
it does not have to be daily it could be weekly, and the winner could come from any of our Galleries.
Can a administrator please reply.

ATB
TK

TheFatControlleR
02-12-13, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. we'll pass it over to the Online Manager.

Tillerykid
02-12-13, 11:27 PM
Thanks Katharine?
All The Best
TK

Karen
03-12-13, 09:25 AM
This is a great idea, we used to do this on the newsletter as graham_c mentioned.

We'll be looking at what new things we're doing online at the start of next year, so I'll propose this idea, and see if it's something we can take on.

Tillerykid
03-12-13, 03:56 PM
Thanks Karen, it should not be to difficult to set up, however, can it please be on here (Website) not on a newsletter as you mentioned.
All The Best
TK

Karen
03-12-13, 04:02 PM
Sure. I don't see any reason why it can't be on here, and we can then mention the winner in the newsletter, to encourage people to enter.

Thanks!

Tillerykid
03-12-13, 04:16 PM
Thanks Karen,
Can you please look at my new Thread "Bright images". Newsletter what is this and how can I view it please.
Kind Regards
TK

Karen
03-12-13, 04:23 PM
If you click on the homepage of the site and scroll down the page a bit, you should see a newsletter sign up box on the right hand side of your screen. If you sign up there, you should start to receive the newsletters.

Thanks for your other post. I've replied to it there.

Tillerykid
03-12-13, 06:23 PM
Thanks

hartley353
05-12-13, 04:30 PM
Some one was listening, Kenwil picture of the week for his lovely picture of Loch Leven.

Tillerykid
05-12-13, 07:51 PM
Well done Kenwil, however, where is it listed.
ATB
TK

hartley353
06-12-13, 08:11 AM
Have you not signed up for the news letter TK, the news came through to my email box, same as what Graham posted they used to do...Regards Mike.

Tillerykid
06-12-13, 08:20 AM
Yes done it the other day, however, i'm not happy they said it would be done properly on here, that's what I was campaigning for. All The Best TK

Thanks Karen, it should not be to difficult to set up, however, can it please be on here (Website) not on a newsletter as you mentioned.
All The Best
TK
Sure. I don't see any reason why it can't be on here, and we can then mention the winner in the newsletter, to encourage people to enter.
Thanks!
Karen

Tillerykid
06-12-13, 08:36 AM
Have you not signed up for the news letter TK, the news came through to my email box, same as what Graham posted they used to do...Regards Mike.
Just signed up again. Once again congratulations to Kenwil.
ATB
TK

Tillerykid
06-12-13, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I meant disappointed, look we have countless of unused boxes (Nikon Power Of Light, last used 06/11/11, Lost Planet, last used 31/07/12 etc etc etc) why not free one of them up and used it to display the "Picture Of The Week". Couple of hours work and its done, all the wording, picture and a free box put to good use.
ATB
TK

graham_c
06-12-13, 08:02 PM
There does seem to be a lot of closed competitions on the site

bigfella
30-12-13, 08:30 PM
Hi Im new to this DSLR photography and hope Im not speaking out of turn but I think some people would be encouraged to post pics if they thought they were genuinely being assessed and critiqued by their peers. Go for it

Tillerykid
30-12-13, 09:07 PM
"Hi Im new to this DSLR photography and hope Im not speaking out of turn"

Not at all bigfella, good to have your views. Hopefully it will be sorted in the New Year.
All The Best For 2014
TK

Tillerykid
02-01-14, 01:40 PM
On another site I visited, they have a "Picture Of The Day" could we have the same on here please.

I first raised this issue on the 1st Dec 2013, can we please have an update on this topics progress.
ATB
TK

Tillerykid
06-02-14, 01:32 PM
This is a great idea, we used to do this on the newsletter as graham_c mentioned.
We'll be looking at what new things we're doing online at the start of next year, so I'll propose this idea, and see if it's something we can take on. Karen

Any updates on this PLEASE.
Kind Regards
Gary

graham_c
07-02-14, 03:29 PM
good question

Tillerykid
08-02-14, 08:11 AM
Hi Graham,
I think, when you put forward an idea, and you are then told something in a reply, as Karen did back in December 2013. Its only courteous to reply when an update is asked for, I've asked twice now, once in January and the most recent the other day. Currently I feel as if I'm being ignored, its been quiet over the Winter months (Photographers Images), however, with Spring approaching its now a good time to introduce "Picture Of The Week". This will be my last post of this nature, as its worn me down, in future I'll just upload my images.
All The Best
Gary

graham_c
08-02-14, 11:36 AM
Hi Gary
I had to wait a long time to get the B&W section up and running.Caroline (travelbug) had an even tougher time getting her pet section up. Regards... Graham

NRoberts
08-02-14, 01:04 PM
Hi Graham,
I think, when you put forward an idea, and you are then told something in a reply, as Karen did back in December 2013. Its only courteous to reply when an update is asked for, I've asked twice now, once in January and the most recent the other day. Currently I feel as if I'm being ignored, its been quiet over the Winter months (Photographers Images), however, with Spring approaching its now a good time to introduce "Picture Of The Week". This will be my last post of this nature, as its worn me down, in future I'll just upload my images.
All The Best
Gary

With all due respect, when told that it's something that will be looked at "at the start of the year", it's hardly sensible to ask for an update on the second of January.:rolleyes: In fact I think it's actually pretty rude, and certainly totally pointless.

Rather than making surly and impatient posts, why not drop her a PM and ask nicely if she's had a chance to do anything yet? Do remember that even if she has raised it, change takes a long time in a big organisation, you will have to be patient.

bigfella
09-02-14, 07:58 PM
Keep the faith guys some things take a little longer than others to get done ..........after all Rome wasn't built in a day. I have every confidence that this will materialize. Perhaps some other members could put their voices to this and show the management team there is a good interest by members to have this idea pursued.

Karen
10-02-14, 02:03 PM
Thanks for your posts.

Firstly I must apologise for my delay in replying. Unfortunately I don't always get chance to check all the boards so I hadn't yet seen this continued discussion in the lounge.

We're in the middle of a restructure of our teams at the moment, and until who does what has been agreed it's not easy to tell who might be able to take this on in the future.

In principle everyone thought this was a good idea, but until we know who here can take ownership of it at this end, it could lead to galleries not being closed/opened or judged in a timely fashion etc which wouldn't be very fair to those entering or waiting to enter the next round.

I'm hoping to have everything finalised soon, hopefully to perhaps kick off a photo of the month gallery for March.

Thanks

Karen

Tillerykid
10-02-14, 03:55 PM
Thank You Karen,
Kind Regards
Gary

Tillerykid
02-03-14, 10:38 PM
Hi Karen, March is here so can we PLEASE start the Photo Of The Month. I've seen some great images on the site over the past few weeks so lets get it going.
Kind Regards
Gary

Alfoto
03-03-14, 12:19 AM
Hi Karen
I concur with Gary, the site definitely needs some revitalisng and a freindly competition would do just that, so what are we waiting for ? :D
Best Regards

Alf

Karen
03-03-14, 11:18 AM
I've created a gallery that you can add your photo of the month photos here: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=62

We'll see what kind of response it gets, and hopefully if it proves popular I can run it as a regular thing. Please do add your photos, and at the end of the month I'll ask the Editor to choose his favourite to feature in the newsletter.

For the moment I haven't added a theme or anything, as it would be nice to see what kind of take up it gets without restricting entries. If it starts to receive lots of entries we could alway consider running monthly themes. What do you all think?

Though the onus of the competition is on fun, rather than a prize, I've have managed to find some spare 4GB memory cards (SHDH and Compact Flash) that I can give away so can offer one as a token prize to the winner.

Now get posting, and email me at ap_online@ipcmedia.com if you have problems adding your images.

Enjoy!

Tillerykid
03-03-14, 07:46 PM
Thanks Karen, I think its a good starting point and I'm sure it will succeed. You've got my support and I know Alf will support it as well, so for now THANK YOU VER MUCH I'm delighted.
Kind Regards
Gary

Karen
04-03-14, 01:36 PM
Thanks Karen, I think its a good starting point and I'm sure it will succeed. You've got my support and I know Alf will support it as well, so for now THANK YOU VER MUCH I'm delighted.
Kind Regards
Gary

No problem Gary.

I've posted it around our social media accounts, and will try to get it included on the newsletter for Thursday, so hopefully this might get some people interested.

Tillerykid
04-03-14, 03:54 PM
Well i hope they do, post your pics and win a Memory Card and have your pic named "Photo Of The Month" what could be easier. Once again Thank You Very Much.
Come on everybody, please support it.
All The Best
Gary

Tillerykid
13-03-14, 02:44 AM
Hi,
Photo Of The Month ~ its going well with 40 plus entries to date. My only concern is i notice that members still like to put their shots in the relevant categories which is understandable, but why not put them in both. It would help get this idea off the ground, i'm just putting my photo's this month in the competition because i want it to succeed.
All The Best
Gary

hartley353
13-03-14, 07:58 AM
I,ve entered because I want to win a new camera.

Tillerykid
13-03-14, 01:49 PM
I,ve entered because I want to win a new camera.

Win a new camera?
All The Best
Gary

hartley353
13-03-14, 03:20 PM
Just teasing my mrs said I can have a new camera if I get chosen, if I don't she can have a high value birthday present, are well off to the jewellers....Mike.

graham_c
13-03-14, 03:46 PM
The last time my Mrs pulled a stunt like this she did buy me a new camera. A Cornet 6cm.x 9cm film camera from a charity shop, and she still got a trip to the jewelers lol

Tillerykid
13-03-14, 06:07 PM
Just teasing my mrs said I can have a new camera if I get chosen, if I don't she can have a high value birthday present, are well off to the jewellers....Mike.
In that case i hope you win.
All The Best
Gary

Tillerykid
20-03-14, 06:35 PM
I'm very happy that this is up and running, however, i have my doubts if the way its being presented is the way to go. I still think photographers should put their images in the various categories as normal (Landscapes, Black & White, Pets Etc) then the judge's should survey these categories at the end of each month and pick their favourite.
All the Best
Gary

Tillerykid
25-03-14, 12:10 AM
Who will win this month (March), my monies on "Watching Me By Sketcher68" what do you think.
All The Best
Gary

Tillerykid
26-03-14, 10:39 PM
Well, if my maths is correct there are 84 entries up to now, that's a bit disappointing. Therefore, I'm off to the waterfalls at Pontneddfechan on Friday to try and bolster the numbers, its my favourite spot. Why not go to your favourite location and get that winning shot.
All The Best
Gary

Tillerykid
27-03-14, 12:13 AM
I'm very happy that this is up and running, however, i have my doubts if the way its being presented is the way to go. I still think photographers should put their images in the various categories as normal (Landscapes, Black & White, Pets Etc) then the judge's should survey these categories at the end of each month and pick their favourite.
All the Best
Gary

Just done a quick calculation on 6 of the other categories (Nature & Wildlife, Pets, Landscapes, Black & White, Still Life etc) and in March 180 images were submitted. Therefore, if I had submitted my shots all taken in March to the appropriate sections, there would have been 192 to choose Photo Of The Month from. Others would have done the same so that would have gave the judges over 200 to choose from instead of the 84 up to now.
All the Best
Gary

Tillerykid
27-03-14, 08:21 PM

Tillerykid
30-03-14, 11:33 AM
Hi, i wasn't very well the other day, and i went mad with a spring clean deleting all my photo's on the site. Thankfully, an email from one of the members made me see sense and thats why 6 of my images are back on for Photo Of The Month, so thanks mate.
Depression is a terrible illness so try and understand people with mental health issues its very important.
That said its the 31st March and the end of the month, thanks to all who entered and for those who didn't, have a go in April. If i was picking the winner it would be "Watching Me" a great nature shot by Sketcher68 her's the link for it. http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=34568&c=62
All The Best
Gary

graham_c
30-03-14, 06:40 PM
Gary i sent you a P.M. but your inbox is full so they wouldn't send it

Paul011
30-03-14, 06:49 PM
I agree it is a good shot, but I am not sure that this is a competition winner, due to it's composition. The squire is too centre in my opinion. All the Best Paul

Tillerykid
30-03-14, 10:10 PM
Hi Graham, inbox empty now.
All The Best
Gary

Tillerykid
30-03-14, 10:11 PM
Which one your favourite Paul, not your own mind.
All The Best
Gary

Paul011
31-03-14, 06:42 AM
I like the shot taken by Joshauke (Something Different)
All the Best Paul

Tillerykid
31-03-14, 11:25 AM
I like the shot taken by Joshauke (Something Different)
All the Best Paul
Ah, I liked that, i gave it 5 stars.
All The Best
Gary

Karen
01-04-14, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all of your entries. I've closed the March round now and opened the April one. I didn't give it a theme, but does anyone think we should do in future?

We're judging the March entries today and tomorrow so hopefully I can let you know the overall winner shortly.

Thanks

Karen

Tillerykid
01-04-14, 04:33 PM
Thanks for all of your entries. I've closed the March round now and opened the April one. I didn't give it a theme, but does anyone think we should do in future?

We're judging the March entries today and tomorrow so hopefully I can let you know the overall winner shortly.

Thanks

Karen

Thanks Karen, hmmmm theme what about showers!
All The Best
Gary

Karen
03-04-14, 12:18 PM
We've now judged the March competition. The winner has been announced here: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/542482/photo-of-the-month-for-march-winner-announced.html

Thanks everyone who entered. Don't forget to enter the April one!

Tillerykid
03-04-14, 12:38 PM
Thanks Karen

hartley353
03-04-14, 02:51 PM
Karen and the team did a good job, my thumbs are up.

Tillerykid
30-04-14, 11:50 PM
Well thats the end of the April competition and my favourite was Peter's "It Must Be Love Love Love" http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=34800&c=63 which one did you like.
All The Best
Gary

graham_c
01-05-14, 03:30 PM
Yrammy's swan

Tillerykid
08-05-14, 10:51 AM
Anyone know who won the April event.
All The Best
Gary

Karen
08-05-14, 01:19 PM
All The Best
Gary

Good question :)

The winner has just been announced here: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/542506/photo-of-the-month-for-april-winner-announced.html

Tillerykid
08-05-14, 01:33 PM
All The Best
Gary
Well done Kenwil second win for you.
All The Best
Gary

Tillerykid
08-05-14, 03:35 PM
Good question :)

The winner has just been announced here: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/542506/photo-of-the-month-for-april-winner-announced.html
Thanks Karen,
By the way I've sent you 2 messages lately, is there any reason why you have not replied ~ the most recent was a suggestion for themes taking ideas from Nikons In Frame Themes, the other was my disagreement with the winner of the "March Picture Of The Month" which featured a child walking on railway tracks. A most dangerous and stupid thing to do and one that should not be encouraged.
Kind Regards
Gary

hartley353
09-05-14, 06:42 PM
Well done Kenwil, a deserving winner.......Regards Mike.

Tillerykid
29-05-14, 02:50 PM
I'm off to Cornwall on the weekend so i thought i'd post this now. Its my usual question, whats your favourite for the May Water Competition. I'm going to have a look now.
All The Best
Gary

Tillerykid
29-05-14, 02:54 PM
Yes its, Whitby West Pier by Coast.
All The Best
Gary

hartley353
29-05-14, 06:03 PM
There are eight on my list, and every ones a winner. The panel have a hard job this month, nice to see so many new names....Regards Mike.

Tillerykid
03-06-14, 12:23 PM
Who won the May Water Competition please, and are we having a June Photo Of The Month. I'm in Cornwall at the moment so Cornwall would be a nice theme lol.
All The Best
Gary

Tillerykid
03-06-14, 11:05 PM
See its wildlife for June.

Karen
05-06-14, 03:11 PM
For those that haven't already seen, the winner of the May photo of the month competition is here: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/new...announced.html

The June competition is now open, with a theme of 'wildlife', and we've had a few nice entries already: http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/gal...mages.php?c=65

Please note that I am now posting new announcements about the competition in new threads, in the lounge, so that all forum users can find this information easily. They will also be announcements posted in the newsletter and news section.

Tillerykid
05-06-14, 07:26 PM
Thanks Karen, no need for this thread to exist anymore, due to the new one. Thanks to everyone for supporting it over the past months.
All The Best
Gary