PDA

View Full Version : New DSLR but which one is best for my money?

mrdogcat
08-07-13, 10:23 AM
Hi,

Looking to buy a new DSLR camera. I've had compact cameras in the past but feel the need to upgrade to something more professional... I've used an SLR before but not that much and a long time ago now, so class me as a n00b. I'm also expecting my first baby in a couple of weeks (yep, I'm one of those) so want to get the best image quality as possible for my buck.

I'll be using it in and outside. I imagine I'll most likely be taking shots of the new arrival at first, but hope to use it for other projects, buying different lenses when needed to improve my photography skills.

I've 550 to spend (with a little wriggle room) on the body and lens.

Thanks so much for your help!

wave
08-07-13, 11:02 AM
Hi and welcome first let me start by saying that a DSLR may not be your best choice you may be better looking at a bridge camera which will give you a camera with a zoom lens and manual controls. it takes time to learn to shoot with a DSLR and so the bridge may be the best option

mrdogcat
08-07-13, 12:50 PM
Hi Wave, thanks for your reply.

Yeah wasn't going to rule out getting a bridge but been put off by my brother who owns a Cannon EOS 500d saying the image quality wouldn't be as good.

If I did get a newer bridge camera, would it produce a better or similar image quality than the now older Cannon model said sibling uses?... Don't you just love a bit of sibling rivalry?! ;-)

wave
08-07-13, 03:13 PM
I could say that for your money you could get a DSLR and a kit lens. not a bad option canon and nikon kit lenses are not bad. but to get really good images then better glass would be needed and so here is the price rise. everyone wants good pictures of there kids from the day they are born and to me the DSLR is a good option but its not for everybody so i try to give people the option that are available and may suit them better. try and think how you want to photograph your child and then look at a couple of options from bridge and DSLR

mrdogcat
09-07-13, 08:11 AM
Ok, I'll not rule out a bridge completely then. Anyone got any recommendations of DSLRs and Bridge cameras?

wave
09-07-13, 11:35 AM
Hi if you go DSLR route then dont get an entry level as you will out grow quickly look at a canon 700d or 650d you should also budget for an external flash so you can use bounced and diffused lighting, this will give better results than direct flash and bridge wise canon g15, sx40
Go try them out see how they feel if feels right then thats a long way to being right dont settle for i will get used to it.

DanCart
13-07-13, 10:31 PM
Hi and welcome first let me start by saying that a DSLR may not be your best choice you may be better looking at a bridge camera which will give you a camera with a zoom lens and manual controls. it takes time to learn to shoot with a DSLR and so the bridge may be the best option

I wouldnt say it takes time to learn to shoot with a DSLR, you can get excellent images with a DSLR in auto (green square) mode; it takes time time to learn to shoot with a DSLR in full manual would be more accurate :) ......

DanCart
13-07-13, 10:37 PM
Ok, I'll not rule out a bridge completely then. Anyone got any recommendations of DSLRs and Bridge cameras?

The thing to remeber about a bridge camera is that its essentially a compact with a compact camera sensor and a large zoom lese ( to put simply) , so image quality will be good but it wont quite reach DSLR levels despite some bridge cameras having resolutions similar to some DSLR`s .....

When it comes to choosing a DSLR all of them will give you very good image quality (the same cant be said of all bridge cameras so be careful if you go down the bridge route) , they start to differ when you look at the features and controls :).