PDA

View Full Version : Doing Your Own Printing

Tillerykid
21-06-13, 01:14 AM
Hi, does anyone do their own printing, I've been thinking about it and I like the look of the "Canon Pro 100 Photo Printer", what do you think.
All The Best
TK

hartley353
21-06-13, 03:06 PM
Hi TK. I print on a Canon pixma MG8150 up to A4, from my perspective these machines are designed for one thing to sell ink. The printer produces lovely prints but at a cost. when buying a printer first check price of inks and quantities in the tanks. I am presently trialing 3rd party inks at half the cost of Canon ones and the quality seems to be holding up, but are they damaging my printer only time will tell. My future plans are to go back to having my Prints produced for me Jessops used to do a great job.

Tillerykid
21-06-13, 04:32 PM
Thanks Mike, yes I notice the ink is expensive, however, I think I'm going to give it a go. I always feel that after taking the photo and editing it I need to do more, so doing my own quality printing appeals to me.
All The Best
TK

hartley353
21-06-13, 07:28 PM
My cannon printer has worked faultlessly for two years now,and has proved the homework I did in its purchase to be correct. My Tip to get the best out of the ink, is to not print ones and twos but to wait till you have about twenty to print off. The machine wastes a lot of ink on start up,so the fewer starts the longer the ink lasts. In my film days prints were stored in shoe boxes, Now I buy plastic A4 folders. So good luck TK get printing...Mike

Tillerykid
21-06-13, 09:41 PM
Thanks Mike.

wave
22-06-13, 02:04 PM
i think the question you ask yourself is how much does it cost to have the done from a print shop i use loxley they give a good service and to me far better than i get with my printer and page for page cheaper

hartley353
22-06-13, 02:29 PM
Totaly agree wave, if you have a local service it is cheaper than doing yor own.

Tillerykid
22-06-13, 03:42 PM
Thanks Wave & Mike, I've ordered the Canon Pro 100 from Amazon, I just want to give it ago myself. I've had printing done at shops etc before, the most recent was Professional Printing Cambridge. Locally there's nothing so with the postage you are looking at 10 a go for A4. When they arrive you usually get a damage corner etc so I think I'll still go with doing it myself. I've then took the photo, edited it and done the printing so from beginning to end its all my own work I'm also going to have a go at framing as well..
Your Advice as always is greatly appreciated.
ATB
TK

hartley353
22-06-13, 06:57 PM
All the best with new project, you have chosen a top class printer. I understand fully your problems with printing through the post, I collect all mine by hand i'm lucky to live in a large city. A lot of my early stuff I framed,but my better half doesn't always share my taste so they now live in the attic. There is a lot of fun to be had following your path so enjoy.

Tillerykid
22-06-13, 09:34 PM
Thanks Mike, just ordered some Canon Photo Paper and some Canon Ink, should all be here by Monday. Also ordered some frames, so the first photo I'm going to print is the Buttercup one in the Spring Comp. I wonder who will win that, my moneys on Graham.
ATB
TK

Alfoto
22-06-13, 11:37 PM
TK & Mike If you ever to do revert to having printing done from an outside source, I can throughly recommend COSCO. You have to join, annual membership being about 25.00 but its worth it. The prints are very high quality and reasonably priced. I had a recent 3ft x 2ft photo printed and it cost less than 11.00. The framing cost a whole lot more, but that was done elsewhere.....Regards ....Alf

Tillerykid
23-06-13, 02:28 AM
Thanks Alf, 3ft x 2ft cor that's big.
ATB
TK

hartley353
23-06-13, 09:13 AM
He will take some beating...Mike.

hartley353
23-06-13, 09:20 AM
Thank you made a note of that Alf, is that by post. As TK rightly pointed out our postal services are non to careful with our packages.Some of mine arrive as though a dog has played with it....Mike.

Tillerykid
24-06-13, 07:39 PM
Printer arrived today and I'm really pleased, its a beast of a machine (very big) and the printing results are outstanding (A4 at the moment). Had a bit of a problem setting up the Wi Fi, however, working ok now.
ATB
TK

hartley353
24-06-13, 09:00 PM
If I remember right I had problems setting mine up,still you are on your way. Prints for family and friends now the order of the day???...Mike

Tillerykid
24-06-13, 10:32 PM
I doubt it, keep the expensive ink (72) for my best shots.
ATB
TK