PDA

View Full Version : Best camera for cake photography?

slumpy
23-03-13, 11:39 AM
My wife owns a wedding cake and stationery company, and needs a new camera to take photos of cakes she makes, for her portfolio. The photos will be taken indoors (we are planning on getting a couple of softbox lights to help light the room), and also in situ at wedding venues.

The camera needs to be light, easy to use, and give very good crisp photos without much noise, and accurate colour reproduction. The photos are to be used in advertising in wedding magazines etc.

We have around 500 to spend, and I have found the Sony Nex 5R for 350 online. From what I have read, this camera seems to tick all the boxes, but does anyone have any other suggestions before I buy the Sony?

My wife tried my brother's Canon 5D, which gave good photos but she found it quite heavy to hold above the wedding cakes for certain angles. This is why we are thinking of a small, lighter camera to avoid accidentally dropping the camera on a cake!

Any advice appreciated.

Alex

wave
23-03-13, 03:23 PM
Hi and welcome the 5d is heavy camera you may be better off with a 700d which has a swivel screen, i would also say get a tripod to support the camera. i would look closely at the sony as i cannot see an external flash connection although it mentions a flash port. the external flash shoe would be needed to trigger the soft boxes

Nigel Atherton
25-03-13, 12:31 PM
I am not aware of any chocolate proof cameras, so I'd definitely invest in a tripod - one where the centre column can be extended horizontally over the cake (eg the Manfrotto 190 X Pro B) This would make your life so much easier but would also give you much sharper and better composed pictures.
As for a camera I agree that you should get one with a tilt/swivel screen, to make it easier to see what you're doing. You should also get one that has a lens that can focus quite close without having to buy a dedicated macro lens or accessory. Other than that you want something that isn;t too big so I;d look at a compact system camera, or indeed a high end compact.
Personally I like to have the option of a viewfinder. If you're the same then I'd look at one of these:
Panasonic Lumix G5 - http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-panasonic-lumix-dmc-g5-black-digital-camera-with-14-42mm-lens/p1531834
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-powershot-g1-x-black-digital-camera/p1528907
Canon Powershot G1X (compact with big sensor) http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-powershot-g1-x-black-digital-camera/p1528907

If you aren't fussed about a viewfinder then the Sony NEX 5R would be fine, as would the Olympus E-PL5 (or one of its predecessors) or Lumix GX1.

Of this bunch I think the Lumix G5 would probably be the best choice overall.

slumpy
25-03-13, 01:00 PM
Thank you both for your advice, much appreciated.

The lights we are getting are continuous lighting, so wouldn't need to attach to the camera. Nigel, that tripod you recommend looks very useful, I wasn't aware you could get horizontal tripods, but I will definitely look into getting one of these.

Cheers,

Alex