PDA

View Full Version : To many choices not enough brain cells

Alecr
10-02-13, 11:19 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to buy my first DSLR but I'm just totally confused and no further forward in trying to decide which camera is right for me and what features I should be looking for. I basically take family type shots, landscapes and some sport related pics but want to experiment with night/low light and long exposure shots. I haven't set a budget as I know this will be driven by the camera but I'm looking at the budget to mid ranged cameras and I'd even look at second hand cameras. Any ideas on what features I need to look for or what cameras fit the bill
Thanks

Nigel Atherton
11-02-13, 12:17 AM
Any DSLR would do these things, but most have one feature or do one thing that's better than competitors.
• If you're new to apertures, shutter speeds etc the Nikon D3100/D3200/D5100/D5200 have a good built in guide mode.
• If you;d find a tilt/swivel screen useful for low/high angle shooting look at the Nikon D5100/D5200, Canon EOS 600D/650D and Sony Alpha A57.
• For weatherproofing and rugged build quality the Pentax K-30 is hard to beat at the price.
• For sports, the Pentax K-30 and Sony A57 offer the fastest burst rates and the Sony the best high speed AF.
• For low noise at high ISOs the Nikon D7000 is best. Sony A57 not bad either.
• The Canon EOS 650D has a great touchscreen and nice handling in general.

You might also want to look at DSLR style CSCs such as the Panasonic G5, which are smaller than DSLRs.

wave
11-02-13, 09:09 AM
Hi and welcome cannot really add to the list above all good choices. What i would say is go and try them out make sure they are right for you and dont settle for i will get used to it. When you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so make sure that system suits your needs.