PDA

View Full Version : Wide Angle Lens

ThatBloke
04-09-12, 08:27 PM
I have a standard 18-55mm and a tele-zoom lens (cant rember the size) but i really want some thing to take landscapes. Thing is there are so many types so was wondering if one of you Pros could help.

Thing is Im looking at Jessops website and confused on the descriptions.
One in particular the focal length is 24mm yet another says 10-24mm.. so which is the better ?

In a nutshell can someone advise what kind of wide angel lens I could go for ?
Sadly Im a tight arse or rather to be honest not flushed so around the 200-250 mark would be ideal :( That said Im waiting for someone to say dont bother on that price :p

wave
05-09-12, 07:36 AM
hi you should beable to get some results from your kit lens. but if you want to go wider the look at the sigma 10-20 but it is over your budget. are you having problems with your kit lens

ThatBloke
05-09-12, 04:23 PM
i wouldnt say its a problem. Its just pics look different on a 18-55mm as there is no wider view so it just looks like the pic has been taken with just a basic compact camera...or am I just being over critical ?

I have uploaded some onto my gallery if you have a peek

wave
05-09-12, 07:31 PM
hi i have looked at the ones you have posted I really want to look at them on my big screen but the first question is do you shoot raw and what do you use to post process

ThatBloke
05-09-12, 08:46 PM
Yeah always shot in RAW.

post process ? sorry dont follow :confused:

wave
06-09-12, 06:44 AM
hi you shoot RAW so do I, then I use aperture 3 to develop the shot ie adjust white balance, black point clip high lights. if i need any thing else I use photoshop. heres a sticky that chris cool put up it may help

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3067

ThatBloke
06-09-12, 04:04 PM
Sorry fella. You lost me on " I use aperture 3 to develop the shot ie adjust white balance, black point clip high lights" :confused:

wave
06-09-12, 04:28 PM
thats ok what do you do with your shots once you have downloaded them

ThatBloke
06-09-12, 05:37 PM
Sorry..slightly with you. I use Photoshop Elements

i googled black point clip high lights and read about levels.

Saw the Histogram and could see you can manipulate the image. Thing is it just seems like adjusting brightness and contrast. How do you know what you are doing is correct etc ?

wave
07-09-12, 06:50 AM
ok as i said i use elements as well but not for my conversion i use apples aperture 3 but everyone to there own work flow. when you open your picture it will open in camera RAW , you adjust white balance, exposure, black point. and a couple of other things. you can then open the shot in elements and go further but what is right. some times it trail and error and what you like. All that said I have looked at your shots and unfortunately there is no exif data so i cannot see what you originally shot at as this also effects your pictures

ThatBloke
07-09-12, 07:49 PM
When i open a CR2 file i get this ..

http://i50.tinypic.com/ay0c42.jpg

Cannot see the options you mention unless they are worded differently

wave
08-09-12, 09:03 AM
hi ok first thing i would do is start at the top and thats white balance. That can be adjusted from the drop down menu or use the controls temperature and tint i see that you have adjusted the exposure and recovery. i would drop the exposure down even more
You have shot it at f3.5 try stopping down 1 more stop f5.6, when you shoot wide open you give yourself a narrow depth of field. also you have some highlight clipping. which is why i say drop the exposure down more. once you have it to your liking you can open it pse and try some more editing with the enhance menu

ThatBloke
05-10-12, 06:40 PM
Jeez I apologise for the length of time to reply ..been away

Ok thanks for the tips.i'll have a mess about with that