PDA

View Full Version : tv, av or sports canon 550d

mondo1
31-05-12, 07:58 PM
hi , taking pic for couple of months now with very mixed results. mostly m'bikes and football. some good shots but 90% deleted. :-( . i always used tv but have been told av is better ,i'm not sure. also my pics are not very sharp most of the time. the more im out the more i get muddled with iso speed, av and shutter speed , any help would be much appreciated, many thanks karl :confused:

wave
01-06-12, 07:14 AM
hi first question what lens are you using. next what i would try using AI servo mode then then try shooting again. are you using a tripod or mono pod

mondo1
01-06-12, 03:12 PM
hi , thanks for answering , im using a tamron 70-300mm 1.5-4.5 . im also using alservo but no tripod

graham_c
01-06-12, 05:52 PM
Hi Mondo
I don't take a lot of action shots, but when i do, I do a few things that might help you . I set the camera to continuous, put it on shutter priority and never go below 1/250 , can go as high as 1/500 or even 1/1000 and shoot in jpeg rather than raw,because the jpeg file is smaller it allows your camera buffer to empty faster and lets the memory card write faster. I also make sure the sun is behind me. Hope this helps ... Graham

mondo1
01-06-12, 10:55 PM
cheers m8, all helps , just gonna take time

Blitz Photography & Prod
02-06-12, 10:44 PM
hi mondo

this might help you out

http://www.canon.co.uk/youconnect_newsletter/tutorials/Sports_Photography/dslr/index.aspx

from Canon web site about shooting fast things

when i first got my Dslr i had it with the Tamron 70 - 300mm and i found it can be a hit and miss using this lens in Al servo mode as the lens cant keep up with fast moving things that well because of the motor in the lens but again the lens is only 99. Now over the years up grading to a faster lens the Sigma 70 - 200mm F2.8 i dont have that trouble as the lens keeps up with things i track.All so as wave asked about a tripod or mono pod a mono pod is a most shame there is no lens collar for the Tamron 70 - 300mm but its a lightweight lens so you could just screw you 550D to the mono pod and your away giving you some extra support.
With what setting to put the camera in tv is for slowing down fast action so if your zoomed out to 300mm then your shutter speed needs to be double so that would be a shutter speed of 640 or higher on a 550D at 70mm then 200 shutter speed you can all ways change the shutter speed up it or down it to get the right looking shot with ISO settings you would need to take a test shot when out when out on a bright day you could get away with ISO 400 as i have the 550D & 60D and the noise at high ISO speeds over my older 500D is way better i see the difference when im editing my images later on a pc when i have used all three camera's
But for me the best mode is manuel mode and once you under stand it as it lets you see if your images are going to be dark or light by watching the exposure meter in the middle then that way i can any blame my self if i get the images wrong and not blame the camera for having it set in the wrong mode

hope this helps you out mondo

all the best
Russ:)

mondo1
03-06-12, 08:42 AM
thanks russ , i know lens not best quality, got it with camera, to be honest wanted something not too expensive as i was just starting and not sure how things would go.. now totally addicted :-). looking at lenses at the min. have narrowed it down to your lens or sigma 100-300 ex. as for settings think its just a matter of trial and error although you have helped lots . thanks m8.

Blitz Photography & Prod
03-06-12, 02:41 PM
hi mondo

you should be great with any one of them lens your looking at. And as you said as for settings we all do it even now i still some times get it wrong it is a art in its self getting them right but the more you use your camera the more you will under stand shutter speeds, F - Stops and ISO :)

Russ;)

canismajor
04-06-12, 10:36 AM
Hi Mondo. Like you, I enjoy motor cycle racing and always take my camera with me. I find my Sigma 120-400mm a great tool for this subject, and I never use a tripod for bikes because it hinders the 'panning' movement which is necessary to capture a fast moving bike, some do but I don't. I regularly shoot at ISO 800, 1000, in order to be able to select a high shutter speed. Even shooting at 1/3000 sec, the bike chain is still slightly blurred as it turns at such high speeds, but then it conveys a sense of motion also which matches the bikes as they flash by at app 140mph where I shoot from. I mostly shoot in 'P' by the way. All the best.Mike.

mondo1
04-06-12, 07:40 PM
cheers mike, haven't been at this caper long but really enjoying it. been looking on ebay for lenses . have looked at yours sigma 200mm f2.8 it looks good too but woulnt be sure about the length of it. or sigma 100 -300 f4 , tried lots of settings but seem to fluke my pleasing shots, so hoping a new lens helps , been looking at your pics , very nice , and at bsb tracks you wouldt bee too close to the action either, again thanks mike

canismajor
05-06-12, 05:31 PM
Hi Mondo. My main Sigma lens for sport is the excellent 120-400mm, not the 200mm. It is quite heavy and after a while you sure know you've got it round your neck. At full stretch it is quite long, but the results are worth any inconvenience. Used lenses are a good option too, check out the used sections from reputable dealers like Mifsuds, Warehouse Express, and Park Cameras. At least you should get a warranty when buying from these dealers. Important to remember is to use a fast shutter speed with zoom lenses, to get a sharp pic. A rule of thumb is this; if using a 300mm lens, never shoot any slower than 1/300sec. A 400mm, use 1/400sec, and so on, get the idea?. All the best, Mike.

luke
13-06-12, 09:35 PM
Hi mondo1,

Here is my very rough guide to the setting you might want to select when taking photos

ISO
100 great when there is a lot of light and best quality photos
400-800 typical day in England depending on how overcast it is, i have my camera on this setting if im doing street photography
1600+ this is the best setting for fast moving action, the only down side is the reduced quality

Aperture

F4 and below is great when you zoom in and want to blur out the background i.e. portraits
F8 is theoretical best quality for a lot of lenses
F14-16 is usual the best to for landscapes

Shutter Speed
If your shutter speed is lower than you lens length then there is a higher risk of blurred shots so if you have a 70mm lens then keep you shutter speed over 1/70 of a second

All of the above is just a rough guide and there are no hard and fast rules but I find these all make great starting point

Cheers,

Luke

mondo1
14-06-12, 12:42 PM
cheers luke ,mike and everyone who answered my post. lots of useful advice, got bike race this weekend so heres hopeing i get better images, thanks again
:)