PDA

View Full Version : Basic set Up for Advice for Novice

The Lakestars
07-05-12, 09:11 AM
Dear All,
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38.
I would like to buy a telephoto lens to start taking wildlife shots.
Checking the Panasonic site there are some accessories available for this model. I think I will need an adapter ring, but I am confused about 2/3rd lenses, thread diameter etc.

Basically, I need advice about if this is possible and what I need to buy if so. Obviously, this is my first venture in to photography and do not want to spend an enormous amount. I thought about 200 on the lens.

Many thanks.

Chris Cool
07-05-12, 12:03 PM
Hi and welcome.

You will find that the adapter should come with any lens you buy for the FZ38. Always check with the seller first.

Have a look here Clicky (http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/Accessories_Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FZ38_t1808)

These lenses will multiply your magnification by a factor marked on the lens. So, 1.7 x plus your 18x = 30.6x

You will have to do the research to find out which ones are best.

Cheers!

The Lakestars
07-05-12, 12:18 PM
Hi Chris,
Thank you for your quick reply.
That link is great.
I bought the camera for my sons GCSE work. However, I am in to wildlife and I have used it to take pictures of adders, lizards, birds on my bird feeders etc. An osprey has turned up here for the second year and I am keen to try and get some closer shots of it.

I am completely new to this so I hope you don't mind if I ask further questions once I have had a good look at the options on that page.

Kind regards,
Ian

The Lakestars
07-05-12, 03:30 PM
Hi Chris,

The 'Mega Kit'
MEGAKIT (WIDE ANGLE, MACRO, AND TELEPHOTO KIT) for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38
for 84.99
seems an obvious choice as a basic starter for a complete novice. Can you tell me if the lenses might be ok or very cheap and no good.

Many thanks,
Ian

Chris Cool
07-05-12, 04:22 PM
Hi Chris,

The 'Mega Kit'
MEGAKIT (WIDE ANGLE, MACRO, AND TELEPHOTO KIT) for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38
for 84.99
seems an obvious choice as a basic starter for a complete novice. Can you tell me if the lenses might be ok or very cheap and no good.

Many thanks,
IanI thought you were after a zoom for wildlife? I also said to do some research!

Okay. For what it's worth. I've heard good things about the Panasonic DMW-LT55E Clicky (http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/PANASONIC_DMW-LT55E_CONVERTER_Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FZ38_t1808_5408) You may be able to find it cheaper (get the 58mm adapter separately (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/58mm-Lens-Adapter-Tube-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ38-/270959875693?pt=UK_Photography_Adapter_Rings&hash=item3f1677966d)) - worth a look!

When it comes to glass (lenses). You gets what you pay for lol

Cheers!

Sumo
07-05-12, 05:36 PM
Hi there i dont know much about cameras but i have just done what you want to do,i have the FZ45 and have just got the adaper tube and 1.7 lens from panasonic. I orginaly got a cheep deal off flea bay that was terible for 30 please dont bother!

I got mine off Amazon for about 125 all in and have been useing it for a few weeks now, on the whole its a great up grade and i am getting some pleasing shots(for me anyway).When the setup is on the camera you will lose some of the versatiaty off the camera and it will be a bit heavier but you can use your hand on the lens to steady the camera for better shots. You do not have to set your camera to tele in the menu either as it will work fine.

Oh one last thingDO NOT USE A FILTER ON THE END OF THE CAMERA LENS AS IT WILL HIT THE TELE LENS WHEN FULLY ZOOMED!

I hope this has helped a bit.

Matt

The Lakestars
07-05-12, 05:45 PM
Ha ha, sorry Chris. told you I know nothing at the moment. What does the 1.7X conversion on this lens mean? The one in that kit said 2X telephoto, so I stupidly thought it was a greater magnification.

Thanks for the feedback Matt. are you shooting wildlife with yours?

Chris Cool
07-05-12, 06:07 PM
Ha ha, sorry Chris. told you I know nothing at the moment. What does the 1.7X conversion on this lens mean?No worries. The 1.7x will give you 30.6 on your camera at full zoom. I did explain that earlier lol

Sumo
07-05-12, 06:37 PM
HYes i am taking wildlife photos, and my shots are coming out well with the tele lens.

The Lakestars
07-05-12, 06:42 PM
Oops, sorry. I see what that means in that post now.

So the 2x lens in that kit would give 38, but must be a far inferior lens.

I have read the reviews about the Panasonic DMW-LT55E on amazon and everyone seems pleased with it. It's available for 99.95 now so will probably give it a go.

Sumo
07-05-12, 07:42 PM
Hi personally i would go for the genuine 1.7x lens as i did,and dont forget you may need the adapter barrel as well that is about 20.

Happy shooting.

Chris Cool
07-05-12, 08:07 PM
So the 2x lens in that kit would give 38, but must be a far inferior lens.It would in fact make it 2x 18 = 36x :D

I have read the reviews about the Panasonic DMW-LT55E on amazon and everyone seems pleased with it. It's available for 99.95 now so will probably give it a go.Good choice :)

Cheers!

The Lakestars
07-05-12, 10:54 PM
Damn. Too much of a hurry! I am pretty good at maths too, but not that time.
Have ordered lens off Amazon. Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks for your help. Should have lens in a few days.

The Lakestars
09-05-12, 11:21 PM
Evening Chris,
Sorry for late post, had a lot of work on tonight.
Both items arrived today. Lens adapter - ebay. Panasonic 1.7X telephoto - Amazon.
The adapter does not fit new lens. Description says it adapts the FZ38 to fit new panasonic lenses. Adapts from 55.8mm to 58mm. However, the new lens must have a thread diameter of 55mm. I looked back at the Panasonic site and enlarged the picture of their adapter for the FZ38. I can read the print on the side and it says 55.8mm - 55mm. Tremendous!
I suspect the Panasonic telephoto lens being called the DMW-LT55 gave a clue. Not to worry, you live and learn.
Put the adapter on and held lens in place to do intial test. Pretty good results, but not as expected. Expectations were high though! Miracles being predicted! Can't complain though for 99
Will exchange or buy new adapter and do some serious with and without comparisons.
Will be in touch. Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated.
Ian

Chris Cool
10-05-12, 12:01 AM
Hi. Sorry to hear about the adapter :(

I think once everything is attached. You will get some good results.

I bought a couple of add-on lenses for my Nikon 4500 (a while back now) compact. A wide and telephoto and they worked fine. However, my magnification was nowhere near yours lol.

Don't forget. Post processing is an important part of digital photography and should be used to sharpen and enhance your pictures. If you don't have an imaging editor, then use the one in my signature below. There are 32 video tutorials to get you started. The most useful is the Adjusting levels (http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/Videoes/06_Levels/06_Levels.html) and for even more adjustment. The Curves tool (http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/Videoes/07_Curves/07_Curves.html) is a must (it's my favourite all-in-one adjuster). My Resize-Crop-Sharpen tutorial below, will get your pics ready for the internet or whatever :cool:

Cheers!

The Lakestars
12-05-12, 11:21 PM
Hi Chris,
The ebay shop I bought the adapter from are arranging for a freepost return. Not a major issue as it was only 9. It does not look like they can find the adapter I need as I asked for a swap.
Even the panasonic website online shop says 'the product you are looking for could not be identified'.
May have a job on finding a 55.8mm-55mm lens tube adapter! lol

Can't find one on the internet yet. Will keep looking
Ian

Chris Cool
12-05-12, 11:32 PM
Hi Ian.

Can't believe that! What's going on?

Just a thought. Give Digital-Toy-Shop a ring and ask them what adapters they have for that lens Clicky (http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/Accessories_Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-FZ38_t1808)

Fingers crossed :)

Cheers!

The Lakestars
13-05-12, 10:07 AM
Will do, Chris.
Their website is running extremely slow this morning. Counter says over 11,000 people online