PDA

View Full Version : Which bridge camera, wait more?

Spligpoot
04-04-12, 12:20 PM
Hi All,

I've decided to buy a bridge camera and already done some research on which are regarded as the best for my budget.

So far, it seems it's a toss-up between the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS, Sony Cyber-shot HX100V and Panasonic Lumix FZ150.

However, does anyone know if there will be any new (better) models coming out soon including replacements for any of the above models? I know it may sound like a case where the person is waiting forever because there's always a better one coming out after the next, but I don't want to buy one of the above when they're planning on releasing a replacement next month.

If anyone believes I should hang on for the next month or so then please let me know. Thanks for your attention and hope you can help.

Chris Cool
04-04-12, 01:28 PM
Hi and welcome.

All three are very capable cameras. The Sony HX100 has been superseded by the HX200V.

Top priority for me is image quality, screen resolution (and whether it's moveable) and handling of the camera itself.

Assuming they all take good images.

The Canon has the lowest res. screen at 230,000 dots but is fully articulated.

The Sony has the highest screen at 960,000 dots but has a tilting screen.

The Panasonic has a 460,000 dots but is fully articulated (I have a 460,000 dot screen on my Panasonic compact and it's fine).

TBH, if I was going to buy a bridge, I would add up all the pros and cons, then go and look at all three and have a play...

Don't forget, post processing is an important part of photography and should be used to sharpen and enhance pictures taken with any camera. If you don't have an imaging editor, then use the one in my signature below. There are 32 video tutorials to get you started. The most useful is the Adjusting levels (http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/Videoes/06_Levels/06_Levels.html) and for the advanced user. The Curves tool (http://ictpublish.com/pixlr/Videoes/07_Curves/07_Curves.html) is a must (it's my favourite all-in-one adjuster). My Resize-Crop-Sharpen tutorial below, will get your pics ready for the internet :cool:

Cheers!

ElliotR
04-04-12, 03:17 PM
Hi,
I had exactly the same dilemma and after sifting through reviews and comparisons for weeks I went for the Panasonic FZ150 and am really pleased with it.
After having point and shoots for years I was apprehensive using it at first but after a solid weekend of use Iím happily venturing off IA and through the various intuitive modes it comes equipped with.:)
I'd say it's a must to go into a few shops and have a play as the feel when handling them is also an important factor and helped me make my mind up on the Panasonic...

Sumo
04-04-12, 08:06 PM
Nikon P510 may be worth a look as it's just come out .

wave
05-04-12, 07:19 AM
have you tried any of these cameras out if not i would go and see which felt more comfortable and how easy it is to use

Spligpoot
18-05-12, 06:41 AM
I know it's been a while but thanks for all your advice. I've been waiting for a good review of the new Nikon P510 before I decided. In the end I opted for Canon SX40 especially because I managed to get it for £260.

A work colleague was selling his Canon EOS500D for £250. I know this is a DSLR but I just had to remind myself that I just need a camera that takes decent shots, that's compact-ish with a good zoom. It was still agonising to make the decision though!

Thanks again.

wave
18-05-12, 08:09 AM
at £250 this isnt a bad deal does it come with a lens

Spligpoot
20-05-12, 06:21 PM
at £250 this isnt a bad deal does it come with a lens
It did, whoever bought it on ebay got a very good buy.