PDA

View Full Version : RAW file editing with Sony Alpha DSLRs

Rodney Brown
03-04-12, 11:23 PM
Does anybody out there know what editing packages can work with Sony's ARW RAW files on a desktop PC with Windows 7? Sony's Image data Converter that came with my Alpha 350 was 32bit. Windows 7 is 64 bit, and crashed when I tried to install it.

wave
04-04-12, 06:32 AM
you could try photoshop elements 9 or above. the gimp is free but you would need a plugin, picasa can read RAW. have you looked for a sony update

Rodney Brown
04-04-12, 11:58 PM
I called Adobe about this question and an American saleswoman talked me into ordering Lightroom 4. She said it was specifically for RAW files and assured me it would recognise the Alpha ARW file extension. I'll remain sceptical until I've tried it out.

Blitz Photography & Prod
05-04-12, 01:08 AM
hi Rodney

if Adobe have said lightroom will work then it will with your Sony Alpha DSLR
as soon as any model of DSLR comes out Adobe are not far behind with making profiles for lens of all the different camera bodys a very powerful tool is Lightroom and plus version 4 is there brand new version you should be fine with it :)

all the best Russ :cool:

wave
05-04-12, 07:16 AM
Lightroom is powerful and its not cheap I would download the 30 trail of elements 10 and see if that works

Rodney Brown
07-04-12, 04:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I've been trying out Lightroom 4 and had some good results. I like the fact it doesn't compress files as much. It still is a bit daunting - there are loads of functions on it I may never use and many I don't understand - yet.
Picasa - thanks for the tip about that one. I tried that too. It's a bit more basic and doesn't recognise camera settings you've used in RAW. And the final Jpgs produced from RAW are heavily compressed.

Lastly, an assistant in Jessops recommended a free Chinese download called STEPOK.

Blitz Photography & Prod
07-04-12, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I've been trying out Lightroom 4 and had some good results. I like the fact it doesn't compress files as much. It still is a bit daunting - there are loads of functions on it I may never use and many I don't understand - yet.
Picasa - thanks for the tip about that one. I tried that too. It's a bit more basic and doesn't recognise camera settings you've used in RAW. And the final Jpgs produced from RAW are heavily compressed.

Lastly, an assistant in Jessops recommended a free Chinese download called STEPOK.

hi Rodney your not going to get better then lightroom 4 it as the new version of Adobe Camera Raw 7
as i see images we buy good DSLR's ,lens why not use good software to do raw files as well :) it is the last stage before images good out on the web or to print ;)

Rodney Brown
08-04-12, 08:44 PM
hi Rodney your not going to get better then lightroom 4 it as the new version of Adobe Camera Raw 7
as i see images we buy good DSLR's ,lens why not use good software to do raw files as well :) it is the last stage before images good out on the web or to print ;)
I agree completely!

Mike Lowe
12-04-12, 11:26 AM
* Although Windows 7 comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (and usually supports both 32-bit and 64-bit applications from the 64-bit install), the Sony software that you have is an older generation than you need. If you visit the Sony website - http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/274168 - itís possible to download a more up to date version of the software that should work on your machine.
Alternatively grab a copy of Photoshop Elements 10 or a similar editing program and you may find a preferable editing suite. At under £80 it wonít cost an arm and a leg and is a worthwhile investment. In fact it's 20% off until April 22nd: http://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/html/index.cfm?store=OLS-UK&event=displayProduct&categoryPath=%2FApplications%2FPhotoshopElements