PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - which camera?

student
03-04-12, 05:44 PM
Hi All,

Firstly, can I confirm that I'm not the most clued up on digital cameras! I know the difference between a compact, bridge and DSLR...but that's about it!

I am looking to purchase a new camera for University work (computing). I have a budget of approx. 250...it can be higher for the right camera. I need a digital compact camera...not a larger bridge or DSLR camera.

I will be using the camera for two main purposes:
1. Close up pictures of products.
2. Record short HD video clips (approx. 10-15mins in length).

I would also prefer the camera to use an SD card...as I'm considering purchasing a eye-fi wireless SD card...again, if anybody has any advise on these or other wireless SD cards, that would be great.

Many thanks,
Richard

Chris Cool
03-04-12, 07:32 PM
Hi and welcome.

My favourite compact at the mo is the Sony HX9v (http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/reviews/compactcameras/129187/1/sony-cyber-shot-hx9v-review.html)

It was Amateur Photographer compact of the year 2012 and has been reduced in price - do a google for best deal.

More info here (http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_hx9v_review/)

As for Wifi cards. Far too expensive. Use a usb card reader. Safer and more reliable.

Cheers!

student
05-04-12, 12:11 PM
Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your reply. The HX9v looks great! I forgot to mention that I will be working on images on a 3D monitor, so the added 3D capabilities of the HX9v is brilliant.

I have another question, however. I read on another forum that there are two new models coming out in May - HX20v and HX30v with built in wifi. As I mentioned, I'm considering purchasing the eye-fi wifi cards...do you or anyone else know if the HX30v will allow me to upload the photos and videos directly into a folder on the desktop or into an FTP server...like the eye-fi cards do? I contacted Sony support (which weren't very helpful!) and they said to just check forums and look on their website.

If so, would the HX30v be the better option?

Chris Cool
05-04-12, 04:28 PM
If so, would the HX30v be the better option?Sounds good to me but I would wait for a full review to make sure it all works OK.