PDA

View Full Version : canon 1100D vs Lumix DMC-GF2

spzmky
08-01-12, 07:54 PM
Im looking at getting a semi-pro digital camera to invest in.

I have used the Canon 450D in the past and found it very easy to use and took some pretty impressive images with it, but I am going travelling for 2 months around Thailand, Laos & Vietnam so am considering about getting a compact camera that would match the quality of the 1100D purely for the compact portability benefit.

the three that I have come up with so far are:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
Samsung NX11
Olympus PEN E-P1

Main things that I would need the camera for is for low noise image quality, the ability to manually set shutter speed for night landscape photos & obviously the overall quality/crispness/colour clarity.

What would you suggest?

Cheers.

Phil Hall
16-01-12, 10:46 AM
All of these cameras are what we term Compact System Cameras, or CSCs for short. They have a similar physical sensor size to a DSLR and also allow you to swap lenses. They don't have an internal mirror however, so they're more compact, but this does mean you go without an optical viewfinder. Some CSCs have a built-in electronic viewfinder (EVF), while others can support an optional should you wish.

Of your 3 choices, both the E-P1 and GF2 have since been superseded. You may still be able to pick these up new for a decent price, but let's have a look at some newer alternatives.

The Sony NEX-C3 is the one to go for if ultimate image quality is your main concern - it has an APS-C sized sensor like its DSLR stablemates, but the handling isn't the most intuitive and the lenses can be a touch on the large size.

Both the Olympus PEN E-PL3 and Panasonic GF3 are based around the Micro FourThirds system. The sensor is a touch smaller than that in the NEX-C3, but the lenses are also more compact, making for a neater overall solution. There's also a decent lens line-up from both Olympus and Panasonic, so you'll have plenty of options available. Out of the two, our pick would have to be the GF3. It's a great little camera and our Compact System Camera of the Year 2011.