PDA

View Full Version : Buying new compact camera

Laceyloudesign
30-12-11, 09:06 AM
I used a Pentax Optio 550 for a number of years and many thousands of photos before it started being temperamental, and so I bought a replacement, Pentax W90. (I also use a Pentax DSLR but want a compact that goes everywhere with me, as too often the DSLR is too heavy to carry)
I use the compact for taking photos of textiles, particularly lace and also jewellery. I often take close ups and sometimes in low light levels. The Optio 550 was fantastic and coped with these requirements without any problems, but its replacement has been a big disappointment and so I am looking to change it but don't know where to start as the reviews never say how good the cameras are for close ups.(want one that will show individual threads within the textiles) The W90 often looks like the image is good on the screen but when I put them on the computer they are often out of focus and of no use, which is frustrating when I have taken them at museums, exhibitions etc.
I don't want to make another mistake, and that is the problem with getting them demonstrated in shops, as if the image looks okay on screen but is really out of focus then its not up to the job.
Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Louise

canismajor
30-12-11, 05:58 PM
I used a Pentax Optio 550 for a number of years and many thousands of photos before it started being temperamental, and so I bought a replacement, Pentax W90. (I also use a Pentax DSLR but want a compact that goes everywhere with me, as too often the DSLR is too heavy to carry)
I use the compact for taking photos of textiles, particularly lace and also jewellery. I often take close ups and sometimes in low light levels. The Optio 550 was fantastic and coped with these requirements without any problems, but its replacement has been a big disappointment and so I am looking to change it but don't know where to start as the reviews never say how good the cameras are for close ups.(want one that will show individual threads within the textiles) The W90 often looks like the image is good on the screen but when I put them on the computer they are often out of focus and of no use, which is frustrating when I have taken them at museums, exhibitions etc.
I don't want to make another mistake, and that is the problem with getting them demonstrated in shops, as if the image looks okay on screen but is really out of focus then its not up to the job.
Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Louise
Hi Louise. Some compacts have macro settings which is what you will need, I once had a small light bridge camera which had macro and super-macro settings and did a great job. May I suggest that you look in the What Digital Camera magazine and check out the spec of all the cameras which have been tested, then you know from the score how good a camera is. Every type of camera has been tested, and near the back of the mag you'll find out how good they are, from compacts to DSLR's. Sorry I can't say which one is best for you, it's fun doing the homework yourself and then the choice will be yours. All the best.

Laceyloudesign
30-12-11, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. The one I have had great write up which I had researched before buying but it still doesn't do the job sufficiently for what I need. There are so many out there and have looked at the guide but there's just too much choice. I thought a few personal experiences from the forum members might help me narrow the search.
Louise