PDA

View Full Version : Buying from Hong Kong Suppliers

Roy03
26-12-11, 02:41 PM
Have any of you bought from the likes of Pro camera shop or gimmedigi etc. I would like a honest appraisal, because the savings seem very good. Is it too good to be true, or am I just being cynical
seasons greetings
Roy

TheFatControlleR
26-12-11, 03:35 PM
Apart from the service angle in regard to the retailer you need to consider after service, or rather lack of it.

As with most things that look to good to be true there's invariably a catch/risk.

In these instances it tend to be that electronic/camera manufacturers and distributor price the item according to the market it's to be offered, in order to maintain that market/region separation they also segregate the warranties by market.

So, as with most grey imports you're buying from one market and (unofficially) importing into another. The Asian market warranty will not be valid in Europe. You're effectively buying sight unseen. That's the risk.

Footski
27-12-11, 07:46 AM
I did buy a Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens from Hong Kong with no problems at all. Not sure if I would buy anything electronic though. I have also bought various accessories with no trouble. I suppose it depends on what you are after..

Roy03
28-12-11, 02:25 PM
I took on board the Fat Controller's advice and bought from a company in Tunbridge Wells. I must admit I was hesitant about importing goods in case something did go wrong. Anyway thanks for all the input and advice
Regards
Roy