PDA

View Full Version : Watermarking

VAGGYPAR
27-10-09, 07:19 AM
Can anyone tell me of a simple/easy way of putting my name on my pictures, please? I am Quite new and inexperienced and do have CS4 Extended, if that is any help.
Many thanks,
VAGGYPAR

Mike Lowe
21-11-09, 11:10 AM
Can anyone tell me of a simple/easy way of putting my name on my pictures, please? I am Quite new and inexperienced and do have CS4 Extended, if that is any help.
Many thanks,
VAGGYPAR

Hiya,

Yeah it's quite simple to do, and you can apply it quickly once you get the hang of things. Note that this is a physical 'on the image' watermark, so not metadata that can provide further 'behind the scenes' relevant information.

1. Open your file in PhotoShop
2. Select the Text tool (T) and type your desired watermark
3. Go to the Text Layer now created (right hand side layers) and Ctrl+Click / Right Click to bring up a menu. Select 'Blending Options'.
4. Drop the 'Fill Opacity' in the Blending Options window to 0%. Click the 'Drop Shadow' box and add a subtle shadow, you may choose to click the 'Bevel & Emboss' box and add further effects here. Click OK to apply.

You could stop here, but to save you doing this every time in the future you can predefine the text as a shape to use it again and again in the future:

5. Ctrl + Click / Right click the Text Layer and select 'Convert To Shape'. This will make the text into a vector layer, i.e. if you should resize/rotate it then the edges will always be crisp and clean, they wont soften or distort.
6. Go to 'Edit' (top of screen) and 'Define Custom Shape'. A dialogue box will pop up prompting you to name it, something like 'Watermark 2009' should suffice. Ok this to apply.
7. Select the Shape Tool (U) and then select 'Custom Shape Tool'. The dialogue box towards the top of the screen will have a 'Shape' drop menu, ensure you select the new shape that you have just defined (it'll be a small preview of what you've just written as the watermark).
8. Go to 'Window' (top of screen) and ensure that 'Tool Presets' is selected to show. In the Tool Preset window, there's a small drop arrow to the top right. Click this and select 'New Tool Preset' at the top. A dialogue box will ask you to name your tool - again, something like 'Watermark 2009' or similar will be fine. OK this to apply.
9. Whenever you want to apply your watermark to a new image, simply select the saved tool preset (it'll follow the naming convention you've assigned and appear in the 'Tool Presets' panel. If you ever lose this panel, click 'Window' and 'Tool Presets' to bring it back up) and click to drag it across your image. It'll save you loads of time if you intend to watermark lots of images. Also, as this is now a vector layer, you can make it smaller, bigger, or even rotate the applied watermark as much as you wish and it'll still look good.

That's about it right there. Enjoy.

VAGGYPAR
25-11-09, 04:36 PM
Thanks a lot. You really are a gent. I am very much obliged to you. Sorry it took me so long to look at this again.
Take care,
Vaggypar