PDA

View Full Version : Remote control of a camera from software

rattler
29-09-11, 11:13 AM
Hi. Can anyone recommend a digital camera that can take high quality photos on demand? eg from a software button click. Is it even possible? Thanks in advance...

wave
29-09-11, 11:33 AM
I know a canon SDLR can be operated from a pc if thats what you mean

rattler
29-09-11, 02:37 PM
Thanks for your reply wave. Yes, I want to control the camera from a PC.

I was hoping someone would say "yes, you can do it with a Canon"!!

As luck would have it I already have a 350D. If that can do the job then great! I have a whole load of Canon software (ZoomBrowser, CameraWindow, Digital Photo Professional, RemoteCapture) etc etc but not really sure where to start. I guess RemoteCapture might be a good place. I'm at work right now and so don't have everything in front of me. Looks like I might need to ask a different question - how to do on-demand capture on Canon 350D.

Thanks again...

wave
29-09-11, 02:44 PM
what you need is the eos utility as you have the 350d then go to canons web site and down load the latest versions

rattler
29-09-11, 02:53 PM
Thanks wave, will take a look at it tonight. It's good to know that this should be do-able.

Matt
29-09-11, 02:55 PM
The majority of modern DSLRs will perform some kind of software-driven remote control. Nikon and Canon are prime examples, but the likes of Capture One (http://www.phaseone.com/Phase%20One/Software/Capture-One-Pro-6/Pro-Tutorials/New-in-capture-one-6.aspx) also offer a solution that also gives an amount of functionality for portable devices to trigger the camera.

graham_c
29-09-11, 03:43 PM
Hi
I looked into this sometime last year. I use nikon dslr's and the software from nikon was around 150 which i thought was ott... graham

rattler
30-09-11, 09:28 AM
The Canon website only seems to have updates rather than fresh installs. And of course I can't find the disks that came with the camera and so updates are no good for me. This seems to be a common problem. I had a bit of a look around last night and eventually found a full install for EOS Utility. Will give it a go tonight. What I'm really hoping for is that the Canon software will include DirectShow filters to control the camera. If it does I can write my own software to make it work exactly how I want.

Thanks everyone. If I get this working I'll post some details of what I did, it might be useful for someone else.

wave
30-09-11, 09:38 AM
contact canon and explain they will be able to help you get the original files.

NRoberts
30-09-11, 04:07 PM
Hi
I looked into this sometime last year. I use nikon dslr's and the software from nikon was around 150 which i thought was ott... graham

It is, given Canon supply the software free with their cameras.