PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Micro-Nikkor 105mm AF-S IF-ED f/2.8 G VR N Review

AntSmith
26-09-11, 10:58 PM
I have for years stuck with manual focus prime lenses; they are small, lightweight, and optically fast. Typically Iíve been shooting with lenses at f2 or better while Nikonís AF range has largely been designed at f2.8 maximum aperture. I just bought a D2x and wanted to see what a modern lens would do for me, what 20+ years of technology really gives us. So I invested in a Nikkor 105mm AF-S IF-ED G VR N Micro. Much bulkier than my AI-S version, but it sits well on the large D2x body. Focus is fast, with minimum hunting. VR works really well. Results are crackingly sharp. A real wrench for me moving from manual focus, but I donít regret it. Pros: Fast optically and mechanically, very sharp. Cons: Bulky for a smaller camera, gelded, and now I want to spend thousands on more of Nikonís modern range of lenses.

canismajor
27-09-11, 02:31 PM
I have for years stuck with manual focus prime lenses; they are small, lightweight, and optically fast. Typically Iíve been shooting with lenses at f2 or better while Nikonís AF range has largely been designed at f2.8 maximum aperture. I just bought a D2x and wanted to see what a modern lens would do for me, what 20+ years of technology really gives us. So I invested in a Nikkor 105mm AF-S IF-ED G VR N Micro. Much bulkier than my AI-S version, but it sits well on the large D2x body. Focus is fast, with minimum hunting. VR works really well. Results are crackingly sharp. A real wrench for me moving from manual focus, but I donít regret it. Pros: Fast optically and mechanically, very sharp. Cons: Bulky for a smaller camera, gelded, and now I want to spend thousands on more of Nikonís modern range of lenses.
Hi there, I do understand how you feel about the Nikkor lenses, my mouth waters each time I feast my eyes on them. Because of the cost though I usually choose Sigma lenses because the ones I've got do a sterling job and always impress with the quality of their images. If I ever came into a lot of money I would be on the next train to London and straight into Grays of Westminster and make my dreams come true. All the best, Mike.

Dilinja
28-09-11, 02:45 PM
Am I right in understanding from this thread that Nikkor make industry leading glass?

I have a Canon and was going to stick to buying Canon glass. Is that a mistake? Should I save up and get myself a Nikkor instead?

graham_c
28-09-11, 03:13 PM
Hi If you put a Nikon lens on a Canon, i think you will also need a T mount... graham

Dilinja
28-09-11, 03:43 PM
Hi If you put a Nikon lens on a Canon, i think you will also need a T mount... graham

I think more research is the order of the day here. I did some digging and found out that Nikkor lenses are Nikon lenses. Can you tell Im new to all this? :D

Thanks for the info Graham.

graham_c
28-09-11, 04:42 PM
Yes Nikkor lenses are built to fit on Nikon cameras Each camera maker has it's own lens mount... graham

AntSmith
29-09-11, 09:31 PM
The 105mmVR 'only' cost me £600. Second-hand, but mint from eBay. I had to sell my FM3a and 50mm f/1.2 AIs. I don't regret it one bit - it IS industry leading glass in my view, here's one of my first images[ from it - itonically softened!http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6182735043_b550b2957b_z.jpg

NRoberts
29-09-11, 10:10 PM

No, a T mount won't help - a mount adaptor will, though.