PDA

View Full Version : Starter DSLR

Carper
21-09-11, 06:17 PM
Basically im going to start this thread with my situation. Im new to photography with DSLR's but have used a Fujifilm Finepix S7000 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-S7000-Digital-Camera/dp/B0000C6LQN) for my fishing photos and the car shows i went to this year (modified nationals and PVS) I felt the camera was ok but i was limited with what i could do. I often ended up with blurly pictures when indoors also. The camera is quite highly rated but its getting abit old now and i didnt pay for the camera anyway. Heres a picture i took with the camera.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/thebmxdude/DSCF1864.jpg

Now this is where it gets interesting. Im now after a DSLR. To start my brother has a canon 400D so i know what the cameras are about and have general information on them and have seen many of the pictures they can produce. After looking round i would love a canon 550D but its just abit too much for me at the minute with saving for mods for my car and paying out for other items insurance was 2100 :shock: but anyway after having a quick look around im not after going second hand and cant really save more than 500 so im really looking at the entry level cameras. Canon 1100D, Nikon D3100 ect. This is where you guys come in. Im after a camera that has a high enough resolution for things like my desktop wallpaper (1680x1050) and for working on photoshop with. Also just getting used to the features and generally enjoying taking photos and messing around with it. Im also not certain on weather to get a body or one with a lens. I know my brother changed his lens pretty much straight away and he doesnt use the stock lens much now. Having video recording in HD would be a bonus as i would use it but not all the time.

I think thats about it really if you guys need any more info then let me know and hopefully this thread can help others who are planning on getting on the bandwagon. Thanks

wave
22-09-11, 07:25 AM
Hi and welcome its not easy to say get this get that with a DSLR you buy into a system so it has to be right. I would say go and try theses cameras se how they feel in your hand dont! say I will get used to it. From what you have said I would get the 550d amazon are dong it plus a kit lens 525. Good luck

R0B
23-09-11, 11:59 PM
Hi and welcome its not easy to say get this get that with a DSLR you buy into a system so it has to be right. I would say go and try theses cameras se how they feel in your hand dont! say I will get used to it. From what you have said I would get the 550d amazon are dong it plus a kit lens 525. Good luck

This advice is totally right, but I will say the 550d has baad ergonomics in my case, I have huge keyboard playing hands though so yknow ;)

BTW, keep your horizons straight, pictures on an angle barely ever work, as is kind of the case with the car pic :)

Nigel Atherton
24-09-11, 09:47 AM
Firstly, any DSLR and even any compact is easily capable producing pictures of high enough resolution for desktop wallpaper, so no worries there.

If you live close to your brother and are able to swap/borrow lenses with him then it makes sense to buy a Canon. The EOS 550D is good but if you're just taking pictures like the one you posted then even the EOS 1100D would be more than adequate and its cheaper.

Apart from Canon your options are:

Nikon D3100 - Better build quality than the Canon and good user interface for beginners, but Canon pips it for image quality.

Sony Alpha 35 - very high spec for around the same price as Canon 550D. You get 7fps burst shooting with continuous AF and probably the best image quality of the lot. You might not like the electronic viewfinder but if you do you'll be able to use it for video too, which is a big plus.

Pentax K-r - This wins on the value for money front, as you can buy it as a twin lens kit with the telezoom as well for under 500. It has a high burst mode, high ISO range and high resolution LCD screen among other things so you get a lot for your money.

The most important thing is to try them in your hand before buying, as different people get on better with certain systems. If you've used the Canon and like the feel then that may be the logical choice.

Carper
24-09-11, 04:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like the canon would be the best bet for me as like you said i can swap the lenses with my brother and im mainly after image quality. ill go try some other ones out anyway to see if there any better.

What do you think about buying the camera get it now or wait till the Christmas and new year price drops? This is the cheapest i have found it http://www.johnlewis.com/231212774/Product.aspx?source=63258

Thanks

NRoberts
24-09-11, 04:50 PM
What Christmas and New Year price drops? Cameras often go UP in price for Christmas.

Always worth checking Camerapricebuster (http://www.camerapricebuster.com/Canon_EOS_1100D__Lens_Kit_EF-S_18-55mm_III_lens_pc.html) for the lowest prices, but certainly John Lewis look competitive, and it's a safe place to buy. Buy it now, and you'll have several months worth of use before Christmas - what is that worth to you?

Carper
25-09-11, 09:48 AM
Ill be getting it next week then! does anyone know the difference between the lenses? I have come across about three different types of the camera with different lenses attached :confused:

Also do you guys recommend any extras for the camera? memory sticks ect also what lenses would you recommend for my work which is normally quite close up so wouldn't be needing a zoom lens.

Dilinja
26-09-11, 12:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like the canon would be the best bet for me as like you said i can swap the lenses with my brother and im mainly after image quality. ill go try some other ones out anyway to see if there any better.

What do you think about buying the camera get it now or wait till the Christmas and new year price drops? This is the cheapest i have found it http://www.johnlewis.com/231212774/Product.aspx?source=63258

Thanks

John Lewis are rarely the cheapest option :)

If you shop around you can find the Canon 1100D from reputable sellers roughly 100 cheaper than JL. I recently bought a Canon 60D body from Digital Rev through eBay. The price was 300 cheaper than quoted on the Canon website...

For lenses I can only really recommend what I know, and I was recommended by this site to get a 50mm lens. I sprung for the 50mm 1.4f (roughly 250 on eBay) and I have been amazed by the quality. I am told that the next 50mm down (the 1.8f) is also an extremely good lens and you can pick those up for around 70 off of eBay.

You'll need a memory card if you dont already have one. Check what format the 1100D takes before buying but I imagine it will be the same across the range. My 60D takes SD cards. I'd recommend you get at least 4gig (bare minimum imo) but buy as big as you can. I went for a 16 gig and that can hold roughly 1500 pictures at max resolution (give or take).

Hope this helps.

Paul Nuttall
26-09-11, 02:36 PM
Dilinja's advice is all sound, and it's important to understand focal length before you go and purchase a lens. This tool from from Canon is very useful when it comes to getting a visualisation of each focal length...

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EFLenses101/focal_length.html

Dilinja
26-09-11, 03:50 PM
Dilinja's advice is all sound, and it's important to understand focal length before you go and purchase a lens. This tool from from Canon is very useful when it comes to getting a visualisation of each focal length...

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EFLenses101/focal_length.html

Thats an excellent tool! Thanks for that Paul. It has helped me make my mind up as to what glass I buy next :)

Carper
26-09-11, 06:57 PM
John Lewis are rarely the cheapest option :)

If you shop around you can find the Canon 1100D from reputable sellers roughly 100 cheaper than JL. I recently bought a Canon 60D body from Digital Rev through eBay. The price was 300 cheaper than quoted on the Canon website...

For lenses I can only really recommend what I know, and I was recommended by this site to get a 50mm lens. I sprung for the 50mm 1.4f (roughly 250 on eBay) and I have been amazed by the quality. I am told that the next 50mm down (the 1.8f) is also an extremely good lens and you can pick those up for around 70 off of eBay.

You'll need a memory card if you dont already have one. Check what format the 1100D takes before buying but I imagine it will be the same across the range. My 60D takes SD cards. I'd recommend you get at least 4gig (bare minimum imo) but buy as big as you can. I went for a 16 gig and that can hold roughly 1500 pictures at max resolution (give or take).

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Having had a look on ebay and the digital rev website it seems that the lower prices ones are kiss or rebel models. does that mean there imported from Japan and american and would this be an issue if they were? Also i have seem quite a few refurbished ones on ebay but would be worried if i got one with damage/scratches.

Thanks again for the information.

Dilinja
27-09-11, 07:05 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. Having had a look on ebay and the digital rev website it seems that the lower prices ones are kiss or rebel models. does that mean there imported from Japan and american and would this be an issue if they were? Also i have seem quite a few refurbished ones on ebay but would be worried if i got one with damage/scratches.

Thanks again for the information.

Steer clear of kiss models as these are copies rather than actual canon cameras. In the description it will say something like "Canon EOS 1100D Kiss (similar spec to 1100D)". To be avoided at all costs. As for the Rebel models, I believe Rebel is a naming convention Canon used on their 500D and 550D ranges (although it may be on more than just those 2 models). Could be that the seller has got confused and just liked the name Rebel so added it on, or it could be that I'm confused and Canon call all of their cameras Rebels ;)

Also steer clear of refurbs. I dont know about you, but personally, when I spend this sort of money on something I want it brand spanking new.

I've just had a look on eBay and found an 1100D for under 300 (body only) that was neither a kiss or a rebel model. I'd post a link but I dont want to usher you down one particular road, or towards one particular seller. What I will say though is that if you do buy from eBay always do your research. Make sure the seller has a good reputation and check out any negative feedback they've had. Double check then triple check the listing. Make sure it is brand new, that VAT and shipping costs dont push the price back up and most important of all, that they have payment protection and a robust returns policy. The last thing you want is a dud that you cant return.

All of that doom and gloom said I can vouch for eBay. I've bought hundreds of things (including my camera and lens last week, both were UK versions shipped from Hong Kong) and despite the odd hiccup have always ended up with either a quality product or a refund and apology.

Happy shopping!

Paul Nuttall
28-09-11, 11:03 AM
Not a problem Dilinja. It's nice to be able to visualise what the letters and numbers mean!

Dilinja
28-09-11, 12:18 PM
It certainly is :)

I'm also hoping it will prove to be an invaluable aid when trying to convince my wife why I really really need new glass ;)

NRoberts
28-09-11, 10:51 PM
Steer clear of kiss models as these are copies rather than actual canon cameras. In the description it will say something like "Canon EOS 1100D Kiss (similar spec to 1100D)". To be avoided at all costs.

Sorry, but that's just complete nonsense. "Kiss" is the Japanese model names for what the Americans call "Rebels" and we know as the xxxxD or xxxD ranges. There is one slight difference with "Kiss" models compared to European or US models - the only choices for the menu languages are Japanese and English. Aside from that, and the model name, the cameras are identical and are made in the same factories, by Canon.

Also steer clear of refurbs. I dont know about you, but personally, when I spend this sort of money on something I want it brand spanking new.

I've bought several refurbished DSLRs from the Canon ebay outfit, and a few other refurbished cameras through other sources. They're indistinguishable from new, including warranty, they just cost less and have had problems ironed out. I would always look there first, I think it's insane to rule out such a great source.

Buying from a lot of other sources on ebay such as foreign sellers involves buying unofficial or "grey" imports. Canon will cover the warranty on the cameras, but not the lenses. Additionally, anything shipped from abroad is liable to VAT and possibly import duties. It's a criminal offence to try to avoid this, and Revenue and Customs have wide-ranging powers to come after you without any time limit. Personally, I think that makes that kind of purchase for a high-ticket item too risky.

Dilinja
29-09-11, 06:59 AM
Sorry, but that's just complete nonsense. "Kiss" is the Japanese model names for what the Americans call "Rebels" and we know as the xxxxD or xxxD ranges. There is one slight difference with "Kiss" models compared to European or US models - the only choices for the menu languages are Japanese and English. Aside from that, and the model name, the cameras are identical and are made in the same factories, by Canon.

Ah, thank you for the explanation. When I was buying mine I found a number of websites selling kiss models that didnt fill me with confidence that they were genuine. I understand now that the broken English was simply because it wasnt the writers first language, and not because it was a suspect website, so thank you for clearing that up for me.

I've bought several refurbished DSLRs from the Canon ebay outfit, and a few other refurbished cameras through other sources. They're indistinguishable from new, including warranty, they just cost less and have had problems ironed out. I would always look there first, I think it's insane to rule out such a great source.

Each to their own on this own I feel. When spending this sort of money I always like my kit (and thats not just limited to cameras) to be new.

Buying from a lot of other sources on ebay such as foreign sellers involves buying unofficial or "grey" imports. Canon will cover the warranty on the cameras, but not the lenses. Additionally, anything shipped from abroad is liable to VAT and possibly import duties. It's a criminal offence to try to avoid this, and Revenue and Customs have wide-ranging powers to come after you without any time limit. Personally, I think that makes that kind of purchase for a high-ticket item too risky.

I agree, but thats why I would say only buy from highly rated power sellers on eBay. These sellers sell genuine product as opposed to grey imports.

Please dont think I was advising anyone try to avoid paying VAT?! I was trying to highlight that a number of sellers dont display the VAT value until you reach the checkout. Therefore the low price you find on a google search will not be the price you ultimately end up paying.

When it comes to import duties I totally agree. I would never suggest anyone tries to avoid paying these and myself paid them for both my camera body and lens. That said, even with duties paid the price was somewhat cheaper than any seller in the UK.

Carper
02-10-11, 03:49 PM
Thanks again everyone for the help.

I have now deceived to get the 1100d as it was just about the right price for me. In need of some accessories now though. Ill eventually get the canon 50mm lenses so then i have the stock lens and 50mm one. Then really im after a bag for the camera. Can you get ones where you can store the camera with a lenses attached then with another lens aswell? would be very usefull if you can as im not really into taking lenses off all the time. Then i think thats about it i have a 8GB card and a joby gorillapod.

NRoberts
02-10-11, 09:26 PM
I agree, but thats why I would say only buy from highly rated power sellers on eBay. These sellers sell genuine product as opposed to grey imports..

No, not true. The vast majority are grey imports. That's not to say that the sellers aren't reputable.

Dilinja
03-10-11, 01:33 PM
No, not true. The vast majority are grey imports. That's not to say that the sellers aren't reputable.

Thank you for the correction. What is the problem with grey imports? (I ask because I genuinely dont know) Is it the warranty and how can I tell if my camera is a grey import or not?

Carper
03-10-11, 05:47 PM
been looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Nova-140-AW-Shoulder/dp/B0016JA2YS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317663896&sr=1-1

NRoberts
03-10-11, 09:40 PM
Thank you for the correction. What is the problem with grey imports? (I ask because I genuinely dont know) Is it the warranty and how can I tell if my camera is a grey import or not?

You certainly run the risk that the warranty may not be honoured by the manufacturer.

cdashraf
13-10-11, 12:28 PM
Looking for Nikon S6100 (16MP, 7x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD Hot Deal only on
http://www.crazy-deals.co.uk/?p=1450