PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on the canon powershot sx220?? or can u recommend a better camera?

jobilly
15-09-11, 06:06 PM
Hiya folks.

I already have a dslr canon 1000d however being a busy mom i do use my compact alot more, mainly coz of size and convenience. However my last compact was an canon ixus860 is, bought few years back now, and i am always dissapointed with the results...

I want to replace it with a new compact, i do love canon but am open to other ideas. I am due to give birth again in 3 weeks and am after a compact that can deliver fantastic image quality results, especially as i am having a new arrival and will be taking lots of kiddy pics. Also want it to be good in lowlighting. I have looked at the canon powershot sx220, whats people think of that? or does anyone have any other suggestions.

My budget is 250 maximum.

Thank you

BenScoobert
17-09-11, 07:36 PM
I'm no pro but, Canon PowerShot SX230 HS can be had for 185

Nigel Atherton
18-09-11, 07:54 AM
In my opinion Canon makes the best range of compacts overall, with few or no bad ones and more exceptional ones than anyone else. The SX220 HS (and SX230 HS) are in the latter camp. The SX230 HS is outstanding and won our group test of premium compacts recently. It would be a great choice if you want a camera with a biggish zoom lens. The IXUS cameras, especially those with the HS sensor, are also excellent, if you want something more pocket-sized with a shorter zoom range.

jobilly
20-09-11, 10:21 AM
thank you for replies.

so whats the diif between the powershot sx220 and the sx230? is it just the gps??

Matt
20-09-11, 11:27 AM
Pretty much. And having GPS is something of a double edged sword as it has obvious benefits but also saps the battery.

Nigel Atherton
20-09-11, 07:59 PM
I agree. If GPS is of no interest get the 220 and save the extra money.