PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy

mollysox
10-09-11, 07:01 PM
hello, my son has asked me to take some "action" photos of his football team. I am a reasonable photographer but would like some advice on the best camera for the job. Budget not great but open to advice on any and all cameras.
thanks for reading
regards
m

wave
11-09-11, 01:38 PM
Hi and welcome as you say your budget is limited would be possible to give us an idea. To get action shots you are going to need a camera with a long lens. what are your expectations. all theses things will help us to give better advice

canismajor
11-09-11, 03:13 PM
hello, my son has asked me to take some "action" photos of his football team. I am a reasonable photographer but would like some advice on the best camera for the job. Budget not great but open to advice on any and all cameras.
thanks for reading
regards
m
Hi, You will need a decent zoom for this task, to give you an idea I did a cricket match recently and found that my 120-400mm zoom was the right lens for the job. Many compact cameras have huge zooms on the lenses, and just to give you an idea, the FujifilmS2800HD (199 RRP) has a zoom of 28-504mm and has a 14mp sensor. Check out some of these compacts to see if they will be ok for you. All the best. Mike.

R0B
12-09-11, 05:25 PM
Your best bet is looking at bridge cameras if you're on a budget, go into jessops and have a play around with the cameras (Try find one that feels comfy in your hands, you wont regret this!) and I'm sure the staff will be willing to give you a hand :)

lydia1985
13-09-11, 08:24 AM
Leica M9 is really beyond my price, i like it so much and i will buy it after i think i can control it.

mollysox
14-09-11, 06:39 PM
Hello and thank you for the replies. I should have said that my present camera is an--
Olympus SP55OUZ 18X Optical zoom. My budget for the new one would be approx 250 (flexible)
Regards
mollysox

wave
15-09-11, 07:20 AM
Hi you have an 18x zoom now it should get some shoots for you. Looking at whats available then cheapest DSLR is over your budget add a lens and then the price really goes up. I would have a go with what you have may get a mono pod to rest it on that will avoid some camera shake. Then its just practise try using s mode or sports mode use a centre spot focus. Hope this helps

mollysox
17-09-11, 06:25 PM
Yep I have taken some good shots but there is a delay between pressing button till photo taken(action is over by the time picture taken, does that make sense?) and I cant see how to change it ( have lost manual!!)
I do appreciate the advice
M

wave
18-09-11, 10:53 AM
Hi this is probably due to it focusing IMHO I would wait and save and get a DSLR with a zoom lens.

Nigel Atherton
19-09-11, 10:18 PM
Some compact and bridge cameras are designed with sports and action in mind and feature shorter shutter lags and even high burst modes. We recently did a big group test of cameras for action which, in the compact category, was won by the Casio ZR100. If you PM me with your address I'll send you a copy of that issue.

mollysox
20-09-11, 06:06 PM
Thanks Nigel, cant for the life of me see how to pm :o you but will take a look at the Casio
m

canismajor
20-09-11, 06:45 PM
Yep I have taken some good shots but there is a delay between pressing button till photo taken(action is over by the time picture taken, does that make sense?) and I cant see how to change it ( have lost manual!!)
I do appreciate the advice
M
The delay you mention is called 'shutter lag' and is found on most of the cheaper cameras, even ones costing a few hundred pounds. I still have a camera like this from years ago so I know how annoying it can be. The answer? I invested in a Nikon D300 which has no perceptible shutter lag and is just great for sports etc. Downside? the cost, but it has been worth every penny for the joy it brings me, what a camera!
All the best.

mollysox
21-09-11, 06:54 PM
Hello again, Jessops have a deal on a Nikon D3100 with 18-55 VR Lens. It is over my budget at 399 )100 off) but would this be a good camera for the sports photos I want to take?
regards
m

wave
22-09-11, 07:43 AM
Hi first thing is the lens is short for what you want to do, you would have to get something longer for action shots on the field. next I awlays say go and try it out see how it feels dont say i will get used to it, it should be right for you. you will be buying into a system so make sure its right. what lenses do they have what is the cost of them. Good luck

mollysox
22-09-11, 08:30 AM
OK and thanks