PDA

View Full Version : Which Canon to buy....?

Dilinja
01-09-11, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums so please be gentle :)

I'm in the market for a DSLR. I've wanted one for years and have found it hard to justify the money (despite loving photography) but got married recently and came into some cash. The wife has said I can treat myself - woop!!!

I'll start by saying I love Canons, have done for a long time. So whilst I appreciate there may well be better brands out there suited to my price range/skill level/feature requirements, its really only Canons I'm looking at right now.

That said, I've been reading reviews endlessly and I've had a good look around the forums. Based on my budget (roughly 1200) it seems my choice comes down to two realistic options and I was hoping to get some advice from you learned people :) For the record, I will be wanting to take all sorts of different shots, from portrait, to action, to landscape, to close ups. You name it, I'll want to be shooting it.

The two I am eyeing up at the moment are the EOS 7D and the EOS 550D.

Firstly, the 550D. Over the years I have periodically gotten the camera bug again and time and again came back to the 550D. It seems to do everything I want it to (and a whole load more!) and comes in at a reasonable price given the quality. In addition, my brother in law has a 500D and he says anything above a 550D will be wasted on me :(

But now that I have a bit more to spend than I anticipated I started looking a bit further upmarket and came to the 7D. The 7D seems to be a phenomenal piece of kit for not a huge amount more money (I appreciate it is a lot more money, but when we're already talking about hundreds of pounds....).

The argument I keep turning over in my head is "well, if you buy a 550D and decide to get more serious about photography you're just going to want to go and buy the 7D anyway"

Am I being ridiculous wanting a 7D? Is it really that much better than the 550D and is it worth an amateur photographer buying it when I could save myself the pounds and get a cheaper (but maybe more suited to my skill level) camera?

Apologies for rambling. I guess I'm either after some advice that can help me to justify the expense of a 7D or some advice that will help me to understand that a 550D will do everything I want it to.

Many thanks

R0B
01-09-11, 02:41 PM
My advice, the 60D!
It fits snugly inbetween the 550d and the 7d, it has the nice bulk of the 7d, the ease of use of the 550d, all the manual controls you could ever want, and the best video out of all 3 should you ever want to use it :)

The 60d also has a swivelly screen which is awesome.

They all share the same sensor, they produce the exact same images with the exact same amount of noise, tonal range and detail.

The only thing the 7D has got that the 60D hasn't is a more complex AF system, a magnesium alloy body and 8fps (as opposed to 5.3), which is hardly much to miss out on.

Also with the money saved you might be able to look at some nice glass, which would aid out in your photography immensly!

Let me know how it all plays out :)
Rob

Dilinja
01-09-11, 03:11 PM
i got Canon EOS 7D + EF-S 18-135 IS Lens Kit used but in very good condition price 500$ if you are intrested write to my email dollylipsss@yahoo.com"

Thats very kind of you, but I like to open new things :) Sad I know, but I'm a child at heart :D

Also, I was thinking the 15-85mm lens will probably be my first 'glass'

My advice, the 60D!
It fits snugly inbetween the 550d and the 7d, it has the nice bulk of the 7d, the ease of use of the 550d, all the manual controls you could ever want, and the best video out of all 3 should you ever want to use it :)

They all share the same sensor, they produce the exact same images with the exact same amount of noise, tonal range and detail.

The only thing the 7D has got that the 60D hasn't is a more complex AF system, a magnesium alloy body and 8fps (as opposed to 5.3), which is hardly much to miss out on.

Also with the money saved you might be able to look at some nice glass, which would aid out in your photography immensly!

Let me know how it all plays out :)
Rob

More choice! I love it!!

Are those really the only differences between the 60D and the 7D? That sounds like a no-brainer?!

nadz122
01-09-11, 03:43 PM
if you want i can sell my Canon EOS7D new with box and full set:)

Dilinja
01-09-11, 03:46 PM
if you want i can sell my Canon EOS7D new with box and full set:)

Really? But why are you selling it??

nadz122
01-09-11, 03:55 PM
in my birth day i got 2 cameras :):p

Blitz Photography & Prod
01-09-11, 04:43 PM
hi Dilinja

i got a 500D like your brother had it now since 2009 does the job but like Canon all ways do they bring out new cams now like Rob said you got the 7D 60D 550D in that order the 7D being the best of the 3 but i can under stand were your brothers coming from when he says anything above a 550D will be wasted on you as its a lot to seal out for if you find it to hard to use DSLR's take some time to get used to once people have taken them off point n shoot mode lol but we all soon learn how it all works we have all been there even me but one thing i will say as well bare in mind its not only a good DSLR that makes good images people tend to for get the PC side good Hardrive space as DSLR files can be like 18meg files for 1 image plus good image software to edit your photos this i find a lot of people for get about but if you feel like buying the 7D you would be buying in to a good DSLR from the start
hope this helps all the best
Russ :)

wave
02-09-11, 07:43 AM
Hi to get pratical have handled any of these cameras if not go to a shop and try them out. The 550d/T2i has been replaced with the 600d/T3i and maybe a better buy I would stay away from the 18-135 lens and go with the 18-55 if you are looking the 600d or 60d. Looking at your budget then the 7d plus a lens is outside it.. Good Luck

nadz122
02-09-11, 08:11 AM
my email is nadzinigel@inbox.lv
:)

Dilinja
02-09-11, 08:51 AM
Hi to get pratical have handled any of these cameras if not go to a shop and try them out. The 550d/T2i has been replaced with the 600d/T3i and maybe a better buy I would stay away from the 18-135 lens and go with the 18-55 if you are looking the 600d or 60d. Looking at your budget then the 7d plus a lens is outside it.. Good Luck

That depends on where you shop. I've found a 7D body for around 900 which would leave me 300 for a lens... This puts the 15-85mm out of range but I should still be able to get a decent lens.

Good advice on going to a store. I think thats where I'll be going this weekend :D

Dilinja
02-09-11, 08:53 AM
hi Dilinja

i got a 500D like your brother had it now since 2009 does the job but like Canon all ways do they bring out new cams now like Rob said you got the 7D 60D 550D in that order the 7D being the best of the 3 but i can under stand were your brothers coming from when he says anything above a 550D will be wasted on you as its a lot to seal out for if you find it to hard to use DSLR's take some time to get used to once people have taken them off point n shoot mode lol but we all soon learn how it all works we have all been there even me but one thing i will say as well bare in mind its not only a good DSLR that makes good images people tend to for get the PC side good Hardrive space as DSLR files can be like 18meg files for 1 image plus good image software to edit your photos this i find a lot of people for get about but if you feel like buying the 7D you would be buying in to a good DSLR from the start
hope this helps all the best
Russ :)

More sound advice, thank you Russ :)

R0B
03-09-11, 08:05 PM
My advice, the 60D!
It fits snugly inbetween the 550d and the 7d, it has the nice bulk of the 7d, the ease of use of the 550d, all the manual controls you could ever want, and the best video out of all 3 should you ever want to use it

More choice! I love it!!

Are those really the only differences between the 60D and the 7D? That sounds like a no-brainer?!

Pretty much, yes :)

The PERFECT video for you here
http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-60d-vs-550d-vs-7d---which-one-is-better-6775-article.html

Unless you really need the extra 3 frames a second and a magnesium alloy body, and class leading AF (the 60d's AF is almost up there) then you really can't go wrong with the 60d :)

keithjsmith1965
03-09-11, 09:30 PM
Hi, Recently upgraded from Olympus to Canon, couldnt stretch to 7D but went for the 60d instead. I have found it fairly easy to use as it quite different to the Olympus. Managing to get some good results on manual setting, one or two shots on my gallery from 60D, do like the swivel screen for awkward angles, but I use view finder more than live view, especially for landscapes. Came with18-55 kit lens which seems good, just got 55-250 is lens for more reach.

Dilinja
04-09-11, 07:47 AM
Pretty much, yes :)

The PERFECT video for you here
http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-60d-vs-550d-vs-7d---which-one-is-better-6775-article.html

Unless you really need the extra 3 frames a second and a magnesium alloy body, and class leading AF (the 60d's AF is almost up there) then you really can't go wrong with the 60d :)

Excellent advice, and thank you for the link. I went in to a store yesterday and had a hands on with both the 7D and the 60D. I have to say, I expected to want the 7D, but holding the 60D just felt "right". Very odd, knowing myself and gadgets the way I do!! I dont think I have ever in my life wanted a cheaper toy for myself!!! :D

The only trouble now is going to be glass ;)

Hi, Recently upgraded from Olympus to Canon, couldnt stretch to 7D but went for the 60d instead. I have found it fairly easy to use as it quite different to the Olympus. Managing to get some good results on manual setting, one or two shots on my gallery from 60D, do like the swivel screen for awkward angles, but I use view finder more than live view, especially for landscapes. Came with18-55 kit lens which seems good, just got 55-250 is lens for more reach.

Excellent again. I'd say the forums voices have spoken and returned with an almost unanimous decision for the 60D. I certainly know it felt better to me in my hand and it almost certainly will suit my skill level better than the 7D.

Many thanks to everyone that has contributed, I really appreciate it.

R0B
04-09-11, 04:13 PM
More than glad to help out :)

Glass wise, get a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4, seriously. I shoot with a Sony and have one, it NEVER leaves my camera, it's unbeatable in the sharpness department, ridiculously fast, soo cheap and the shallow DOF is just...amazing! Also they weigh nothing at all, so yeah, get one. ;)

If there's one lens that'll get you started with your photography, its a nifty fifty, hands down!

If you do get the 60d, I hope you have fun with it, its an awesome camera :)

Rob

Dilinja
20-09-11, 12:32 PM
More than glad to help out :)

Glass wise, get a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4, seriously. I shoot with a Sony and have one, it NEVER leaves my camera, it's unbeatable in the sharpness department, ridiculously fast, soo cheap and the shallow DOF is just...amazing! Also they weigh nothing at all, so yeah, get one. ;)

If there's one lens that'll get you started with your photography, its a nifty fifty, hands down!

If you do get the 60d, I hope you have fun with it, its an awesome camera :)

Rob

Well I've done it :D

I went and ordered my 60D and an EF 50mm 1.4. The lens has arrived already but the body wont be with me for another day or two - I cant wait!!!

Cant believe how excited I am, I'm already looking at reviews and specs for my next glass! haha!

Any recommendations on next glass to get?

Nigel Atherton
20-09-11, 08:08 PM
I agree. The EOS 550D is last generation. The EOS 60D is the newer, better version, but the better-still EOS 60D would be a very good choice, offering much of what the 7D offers in terms of image quality, with a couple of extras (eg tilt and swivel screen) and cheaper. It lacks the EOS 7D's semi-pro build quality but this is also a positive for some people in that it's lighter. It would probably be my recommendation. But as someone else said, you should handle them beforehand to see how they feel to you.

Dilinja
21-09-11, 02:01 PM
I agree. The EOS 550D is last generation. The EOS 60D is the newer, better version, but the better-still EOS 60D would be a very good choice, offering much of what the 7D offers in terms of image quality, with a couple of extras (eg tilt and swivel screen) and cheaper. It lacks the EOS 7D's semi-pro build quality but this is also a positive for some people in that it's lighter. It would probably be my recommendation. But as someone else said, you should handle them beforehand to see how they feel to you.

Thank you for the advice Nigel, I appreciate it. I'm afraid you're a little late to the party though ;) I've already been to a store and held the 60D and the 7D and the 60D called out to me :)

I bought one last weekend and am waiting on delivery but already have my lens, an EF 50mm 1.4.

Do you have any recommendations for which glass to get next?

Thanks again