PDA

View Full Version : Canon 350D needs repair.

stateofplay
21-08-11, 08:46 AM
It has lost a spring, I have been quoted for between 80 and 110 to repair. Which is the same as it is worth on the second hand market.

I have 4 lenses, all Canon, a basic 18-55mm and fantastic 50mm 1:1.4, a wide lens 20-35mm 1:3.5 4.5, and a long range lens 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III USM.

So I probably should just buy a new body, budget is about 500, so I might be able to afford a 550d.

But, I am very interested in the Hybrid cameras, as at present I often have to use my Fuji point and shoot camera for using at parties and meals out and social gatherings.

I assume I would be able to sell my lenses on eBay for a fair price, as I know that Canon do not make a hybrid camera and my lenses will not work with the current range of hybrid manufacturers.

1) Is it possible to get a converter that will allow my Canon lenses work on an Olympus Pen?

2) Would you buy another Canon body or look at something else?

3) What hybrid manufacturer do you think is best?

4) And lastly, anyone know how I can justify spending more than 500 to my wife who has zero interest in photography :)

Sorry for all the questions, but if you can answer any I will be really grateful.

My name is Mark, and I love my Canon, but alas it is a broken Canon and destined for the shelf in the shed.

aidys1
21-08-11, 12:44 PM
Hi Mark in answer to your questions.

1) From what I have read you should be able to get a converter but will have to work in manual only. I may be wrong though.

2) As you already have the gear I would stick with Canon

3) They all get good write ups so guess it would be down to personal taste and trying them out in the shop.

4) Divorce :D works wonders apart from that let her spend some money on something she likes first then you have the excuse to buy something you like.

5) And an extra one if you do decide to change put the body on eBay as spares repair instead of sticking in the garage would think you will get around the 40 for it as is.

Hope this helps Aidy

stateofplay
21-08-11, 03:44 PM
Cheers for the advice.

I am unhappy with Canon, silly really but the Windows 7 64Bit has me miffed. Why can't they get a patch?

Also, beginning to think carrying a bulky camera and 3/4 lenses around with me is a tad unpractical, and I think I will look at a top notch compact. But there are not many camera shops left to go and view, try and get great advice.

wave
21-08-11, 05:06 PM
I would stick with canon, when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system so you already have lenses so I would opt for the 550d you wont be disappointed

kingsgraphic
22-08-11, 07:11 AM
Hi Mark in answer to your questions.

[edited]

5) And an extra one if you do decide to change put the body on eBay as spares repair instead of sticking in the garage would think you will get around the 40 for it as is.

Hope this helps Aidy

Just a tip to anyone thinking of 'putting it on eBay'. By the time you have paid for postage, eBay fees, PayPal fees etc., you can deduct 20%+ from your sale price. My solution: try to source a spring and fix-it yourself. You may learn someting about your camera and, if it works, have the satisfaction of knowing you've saved 100.....