PDA

View Full Version : Underwater camera V Housing

Helcatt
13-08-11, 10:21 PM
I'm starting a (short and lightwieght) course in photography in October. I've been advised the Nikon D3100 would be a good camera to start with and the reviews look great... BUT... I'm keen to do some photography in the sea and the housing for the Nikon looks prohibitively expensive! You'd think these things would be for hire somewhere wouldn't you?

Anyway, I'm not sure if I should go for a different camera that can handle the sea but then would it be good enough for me to 'grow into' or do I have to give up on the idea of sea photography for now? The Nikon D3100 does look exciting...

Does anyone have any advice for the newbie?

canismajor
14-08-11, 04:24 PM
Hi Helcat. I can see that most underwater cameras appear to be of the compact type with their own waterproof housings. If you need to understand all about DSLR's to begin with, then the D3100 is a good choice for your course. I also notice the big expense for housings for cameras like the Canons, but can't find any for Nikon, anyway they are bound to be expensive as well if they exist. Some buy a cheap underwater camera just to learn with, maybe you could too and still get the Nikon for the course. I wish you all the best, Mike.

graham_c
14-08-11, 04:46 PM
Hi Helcatt
I don't think you should take a dslr underwater. They are heavy and cumbersome apart from that the housing costs more than the camera. Like Mike says you may be better getting a compact for underwater stuff. Good luck ...graham

PKCool
16-08-11, 10:29 AM
Hello Helcatt,

Not only do you have to think about the camera. One important area that most photographers from the land side forget is white balance. If you can manage the white balancing with little trouble this will make your under-water photography easier. When you dive make sure you have a white dive slate, this is what you point your camera at for the manual white balance.

A lot of diver talk about flashes. Yes flashes are good at deeper depths at the point that light can not reach.Use no flash at depths with light and you will find you can get great picutres. increase battery life and oftern you can take multiple pictures of the same marine life as they do not feel threaten as they would if you use flash

two bands for under water camera's as kits would be Sea and Sea or Canon. For your DSLR then for price look at Iklite underwater camera housing. If cost is not an issue then light and motion.

I have worked for many years as a safety diver in the Gulf of Mexico as a safety diver. I would say from working as a safety diver for some of the top level underwater photographers 9 out of 10 use white balance for dives in which they still have light.

Hope this is of some use.

Pete