PDA

View Full Version : First camera <200 normal-low lighting

indy
10-08-11, 03:14 PM
hi

i would like a camera that does decent low lighting pictures, such as a concert or outside in the evening. But i will also use it when going sight seeing. I dont require a major zoom i dont think but would like a camera that for the zoom it has the image is stabalised and still good quality.
I have read loads of reviews but alot go on about the images being bad quality due to the iso. I dont know what this means.

I have looked at:
Canon IXUS 220
Nikon Coolpix S9100
Fujifilm F70EXR and 300EXR
Lumix FX77
Lumix TZ10
Sony Cybershot DSC-WX10

I have read so many reviews that i keep seeing people complain about bad image quality (even though on some sample pics i cant always see what they mean)
Also I cant really go to a camera shop at the moment as I live in England and there are some riots going on at the moment so the city centre is not a good place to visit just yet (shops got broke into)

any help through experience or deciphering reviews would be helpful

canismajor
10-08-11, 06:32 PM
hi

i would like a camera that does decent low lighting pictures, such as a concert or outside in the evening. But i will also use it when going sight seeing. I dont require a major zoom i dont think but would like a camera that for the zoom it has the image is stabalised and still good quality.
I have read loads of reviews but alot go on about the images being bad quality due to the iso. I dont know what this means.

I have looked at:
Canon IXUS 220
Nikon Coolpix S9100
Fujifilm F70EXR and 300EXR
Lumix FX77
Lumix TZ10
Sony Cybershot DSC-WX10

I have read so many reviews that i keep seeing people complain about bad image quality (even though on some sample pics i cant always see what they mean)
Also I cant really go to a camera shop at the moment as I live in England and there are some riots going on at the moment so the city centre is not a good place to visit just yet (shops got broke into)

any help through experience or deciphering reviews would be helpful
Hi Indy. On your list, the Canon Ixus 220 scored a very respectful 90% in the WDC test, and it seems that all your boxes are ticked with this camera. ISO settings are what we use for various lighting conditions, if the light is poor we can use high ISO settings like 1000, or if we shoot sport at this ISO then we have faster shutter speeds at our disposal. Some cameras give poor image quality at high ISO's, only the better ones give good image quality. In good light, and say shooting still subjects, an ISO of 200 is fine and will give better image quality in cheaper cameras. Hope this helps, Mike.