PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a good beginners camera

gordy1965
09-08-11, 12:17 PM
Hi all at WDC. I am looking to buy a camera for my daughter who is 13 and wanting to get into photography. I don't think I want to spend the money required for DSLR's and lenses etc and it would all maybe be a bit too much in terms of learning curve and weight etc.
I was wondering if a bridge camera would be the way to go in the beginning and had been looking at the Fujifilm HS10 which I can get for around 250.
Just looking for some advice as I know nothing about cameras other than the basic point and shoot jobs.
Just to let you know she is very artistic and mature for her age so she is more than a capable beginner, probably better than I would be.
Any advice would be great........:)

canismajor
09-08-11, 02:43 PM
Hi all at WDC. I am looking to buy a camera for my daughter who is 13 and wanting to get into photography. I don't think I want to spend the money required for DSLR's and lenses etc and it would all maybe be a bit too much in terms of learning curve and weight etc.
I was wondering if a bridge camera would be the way to go in the beginning and had been looking at the Fujifilm HS10 which I can get for around 250.
Just looking for some advice as I know nothing about cameras other than the basic point and shoot jobs.
Just to let you know she is very artistic and mature for her age so she is more than a capable beginner, probably better than I would be.
Any advice would be great........:)
Hi Gordy, I would say that the HS10 is a very capable camera, and should be great for your daughter. It is quite a lightweight camera and if used in the Auto Mode it will allow her to get to grips with how it works to begin with. Later on she will be able to extend her usage as she becomes more familiar with the camera and understands how exposures are made correctly. This camera does produce excellent images, as can be seen in the WDC gallery. Check out the images by DebzG as many of her images have been taken with this camera. I wish your daughter success with her photography. All the best,, Mike.

graham_c
09-08-11, 02:57 PM
Hi Gordy
If you don't want a dslr then a bridge camera is your answer. For your daughters artistic side you will want one with manual modes . The fuji HS 20 is a great camera, you could also look at the canon SX 30IS & the sony HX 100v. All of these camera have manual control. Good luck ... graham

fujiphil
09-08-11, 05:38 PM
hi mate, im a beginner too and i recently bought a fujifilm finepix S1600 and find that it covers everything i want in a beginners camera and it produces some incredible photos

canismajor
09-08-11, 05:47 PM
hi mate, im a beginner too and i recently bought a fujifilm finepix S1600 and find that it covers everything i want in a beginners camera and it produces some incredible photos
Hi Phil, nice to see that you're enjoying your S1600 and what you say is encouraging to anyone else who is considering one of these cameras, thanks for the feedback. All the best, Mike.

gordy1965
11-08-11, 12:01 PM
Thanks guys any help is very much appreciated.

I will have another look around and see whats on offer with some of the cameras mentioned regarding reviews and prices.