PDA

View Full Version : 300 first DSLR

BenAdamson
08-08-11, 12:34 AM
Hey WDC users, what would you say is the best sub-300 DSLR currently on the market? I have read through several reviews but have just been a little lost in all of the different options and statistics to compare. I have never used a DSLR before, although I am fairly technically minded, so I want as much customisability and functionality as possible. Of course the most important issue is the quality of the image, and I will be sing it for all kinds of photography. I am probably not likely to buy another lens for it in the near future, although it is probably good to have the option of doing so.

Thanks,
Ben

wave
08-08-11, 06:52 AM
Hi and welcome
First question is what do shoot, it will help to know so we can give better advice.
Second when buying a DSLR you are buying into a system so look hat is available to you. One thing about DSLR's is the ability to change lenses to give you the best results, its not a magic camera you have to work at getting good shots with it. They come into there own when used in ther creative modes IMHO your budget is a bit low so maybe save a bit more. In the mean time go and try a few see how they feel how they operate dont just say I will get used to it. Best of luck

canismajor
08-08-11, 10:59 AM
Hey WDC users, what would you say is the best sub-300 DSLR currently on the market? I have read through several reviews but have just been a little lost in all of the different options and statistics to compare. I have never used a DSLR before, although I am fairly technically minded, so I want as much customisability and functionality as possible. Of course the most important issue is the quality of the image, and I will be sing it for all kinds of photography. I am probably not likely to buy another lens for it in the near future, although it is probably good to have the option of doing so.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben. I think Wave is correct by advising you to save a bit more. I can't even find a DSLR for under 300 in any of my magazines, unless you are talking used cameras. after a quick look, the cheapest I could see is the Nikon D3100 with an 18-55mm lens which retails for about 430. My take is that's it's better to wait and save rather than spend money on a camera which will disappoint you in the future by not doing what you want it to do. All the best.

Bernilynn
08-08-11, 06:59 PM
The only dslr you will get for sub 300 is the sony a290 which retails at Jessops for 299 at the moment, but if you want to take up photography in any sort of serious way I would suggest saving up to buy something a little bit more expensive. If that is not an option then the sony is a decent reliable camera with no frills that will do the job it was designed for.

h_dhani
12-08-11, 03:38 AM
Hi Ben, just a suggestion. If you're having trouble finding budget dSLRs, then i would recommend that you do a little bit of research from photography-related websites for each and every camera that meets ur budget. Additionally, you can also read 'what digital SLR?' magazines summer 2011 issue if you were overwhelmed by information from the internet. Best regards Ben...

BenAdamson
14-08-11, 02:29 PM
Thanks, I'll look to save a bit more or simply go with a compact.