PDA

View Full Version : New DSLR

mikeachap
02-08-11, 08:28 AM
Hi All
I currently own an Olympus E-620 with a range of four lenses and I'm looking to upgrade. Over the last 18 months my photography has gone from a serious hobby to part of my job. So as you can imagine I need a camera that can give me professional quality results. The Olympus is a great camera but with a smaller sensor does not give the high end results that I'm looking for.

Having owned Nikon cameras in the past I'm more inclined towards them than say Canon but I could be persuaded otherwise.

I've been looking at the Nikon D700, D300s and D7000. I'm prepared to pay up to 1900 for a body plus a couple of lenses to start with.

What I cannot get my head around is the 12.1 MP of the D700 against the 16.1 MP of the D7000. As a pixel is fixed size what would be the advantaged of the D700 over the D300S or the D7000?

If anyone can give me some help it would be much appreciated.

Regards
mikeachap

wave
02-08-11, 04:00 PM
Hi as you have lenses already why not get an E-5 body for them. Failing that its a case of research and do you want full frame or not. d700 is full frame d300 and d7000 are aps-c sensors. Looking at canon then its a case of say 5D mark 2 full frame or a 7D or 60D for the aps-c sensor
remember when you buy a DSLR you buy into a system check whats available in it for your needs.

R0B
02-08-11, 05:58 PM
Id take the d700 anyday, best high ISO, 35mm sensor, just owns the arse out of the other 2 cameras ;)

mikeachap
02-08-11, 08:12 PM
Hi Rob

Thanks for the feed back. My inclination is to go for the Nikon D700 but I have say I never thought of the Olympus E-5. I'll carry on with my research and see where that takes me.

Regards
Mike

R0B
02-08-11, 10:17 PM
I was in a rush when I made my last post, I'll take a bit of time to explain why you should go for the d700 :)

Viewfinder:
The d700 has a ginormous viewfinder, which makes manual focusing a breeze, and is just a dream to use, the d300 and d7000 both have moderately big viewfinders, the olympus E5 has a tiny viewfinder due to the small sensor.

Depth of field:
The 35mm sensor in the d700 produces gorgeously shallow depth of field, the APS-C sensors in the d300 and d7000 give a nice DOF when used with the right lenses, the 4/3 sensor in the E5 gives you a pain in the backside job of getting shallow depth of field.

Wide angle:
The 35mm sensor gives real advantage when you want wide angle, you can guess what happens with the APS-C sensors and the 4/3 one.

Telephoto:
This is the only time when I can imagine the E5 taking the advantage, you can achieve some extreme focal lengths with not so big lenses due to the small size sensor.

High ISO:
d700 owns all here, the much larger photosites produce a much lower signal to noise ratio than the other cameras, closely followed by the amazing sensor in the new D7000, then followed by the D300, then followed by the E5.

Tonality:
Again, the d700 produces the best tonality due to the largest photosites, the rest is obvious with the other cameras.

Lenses:
Youre not investing in a camera, youre investing in a system, obviously you have 4 olympus lenses which is a nice advantage, but if you get the right nikon lenses theyre hard to beat (and this is coming from a sony fanboy!)

Screen:
E5 has a 3 inch 920k dot tilt screen, all the nikons have the same but untiltable.

Toughness:
E5 comes into a league of its own here, best build quality of the lot, then the d300/d700 are identical build wise, then the d7000 is the worst built (but its still very rugged indeed)

FPS:
With the battery grips, the d700 and d300 both do 8fps, the E5 does 5.

Video:
Olympus E5 - 720p 30fps
Nikon d300 - 720p 24fps (same fps as cinema cameras)
Nikon d7000 - 1080p 24fps/720p 30fps
Nikon d700 - none xD

Overall:
DSLR wise olympus is on its last legs, theyve forgotten totally about DSLR's and moved their focus onto mirrorless cameras, so sticking with olympus would be pointless in my opinion, the systems becoming dated very quickly
Investing in nikon (or canon) is definitely your best bet, theyre both such amazing systems, you literally cannot go wrong with any of them. The nikon d700 holds nearly every single advantage over the cameras youre looking at, you would not regret it, at all :D

A little sidenote:
Rumors are floating around like nothing else with regards to pro cameras!
August 24 is the date you need to keep in mind! some majorly big releases set for then:

Sony a77 - revolutionary camera set to kick the c**p out of every other camera out there, 12fps, best video on the market, amazing electronic viewfinder, amazing high ISO, the list is endless

Nikon d400: Same sensor as the sony a77 in a nikon body, should be good

Nikon d800: 24mp monster, not sure about anything else

It will either be the d400 or d800 announced alongside the d3s replacement.

Hope this helps :) I would really recommend looking through the what digital camera reviews ;)

mikeachap
03-08-11, 12:46 PM
Hi Rob

Thanks for the wealth of info. Much appreciated. As I'm not in a mad hurry I'll wait until late August to see what new DSLR are released. Having been a Nikon user and owner of a film SLR I know the quality I'd be buying into.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open and read all reviews I can lay my hands on.

Thanks again
Mike

Nigel Atherton
15-08-11, 04:11 PM
I could hardly add anything to Rob's excellent and very thorough reply except to draw your attention to the last bit. There are definitely major new cameras on the way, both from Nikon and Sony, and I don't think we have long to wait to find out what they are. Certainly by this time next month you may have a very different wish list!