PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Telephoto Lens and Filters for D3100.

Harry8211
26-07-11, 10:29 AM
Hi All

Just bought the Nikon D3100 + 18-55mm kit lens.

Iím already starting to research Telephoto lenses and other accessories.

In particular I have been looking at the relatively new Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZSHNCC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=08JR6TFNQ9WPCPQ95W4Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294) (Linked to Amazon) which is selling for £230.

It seems to fit perfectly for those who have the body plus lens kit such as myself and I have read almost all reviews as positive. Does anyone have or used this lens and can confirm it is oaky?

My second question is about filters, when I purchased my camera I also purchased a bag and card and received a Jessops UV filter (worth about £20) as part of the package.

I have read conflicting things on filters, from those who do not use them as it impairs the image quality to those who use them purely for protection and have them on all the time. I was thinking of using it situational myself such as on the beach (sand) etc. I guess the downside to this is you can drop it at any time and a filter is much cheaper to replace than a lens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

James

wave
26-07-11, 02:31 PM
cant really say about the lens but filters I have a Hoya pro1 CP and I have 2 UV filters one hoya and one sigma which I tend to keep on the lenses most of the time. I think the make a difference on those sunny days.

canismajor
03-08-11, 07:19 PM
Hi All

Just bought the Nikon D3100 + 18-55mm kit lens.

Iím already starting to research Telephoto lenses and other accessories.

In particular I have been looking at the relatively new Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZSHNCC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=08JR6TFNQ9WPCPQ95W4Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294) (Linked to Amazon) which is selling for £230.

It seems to fit perfectly for those who have the body plus lens kit such as myself and I have read almost all reviews as positive. Does anyone have or used this lens and can confirm it is oaky?

My second question is about filters, when I purchased my camera I also purchased a bag and card and received a Jessops UV filter (worth about £20) as part of the package.

I have read conflicting things on filters, from those who do not use them as it impairs the image quality to those who use them purely for protection and have them on all the time. I was thinking of using it situational myself such as on the beach (sand) etc. I guess the downside to this is you can drop it at any time and a filter is much cheaper to replace than a lens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

James
Hi James. I always have a filter on my lenses even if it's only a protector. When paying a great deal of money for a prize lens it seems daft not to protect it with a filter. I've never noticed any degradation in image quality. A circular polarising filter also makes a huge difference to images taken in bright sunlight, so yes, I would always recommend the use of a filter. All the best, Mike.

graham_c
03-08-11, 09:36 PM
Hi
I agree with Wave & Mike . Only time i take my uv filter off is in night shots.. graham

h_dhani
12-08-11, 04:00 AM
Hi Harry, i guess the 55-300mm is more as a budget complementary lens if you already have the 18-55mm kit lens. I owned a Canon body with 18-55mm + 55-250mm and it helps a lot if you're planning to shoot landscapes. As for filter, i would suggest you buy UV filter (as mentioned by Wave & Mike). For additional filter, you should consider Circular Polarizing filter (CPL) and/or Neutral Density filter (ND) depending on your style of photography. Best regards