PDA

View Full Version : Canon S95

Andy69
03-07-11, 11:51 AM
Hi,

I'd be pleased for any help on this.

I'm not totally new to Digital photography but am bemused by a setting on my S95. I have set the camera to max file size/quality on Jpeg only (i.e not RAW + Jpeg) but although it's said to take 10Mg images I rarely get a file larger than 1 mg currently, mostly far smaller even in strong sunlight. Strangley, when I used the camera for the first few weeks it usually took images around 2.0-2.5 Mg, never higher. It's true I've played with the settings a lot but I can't figure out why files are so small. Am I limiting the quality I can achive with the S95? or is it just packing lots of detail in a small file size ? Any ideas on settings are very welcome.

NRoberts
03-07-11, 03:14 PM
I think you're confusing megapixels and magabytes. JPEG file size in particular depends on what's actually in she shot, as there's a lot of compression applied. File sizes are bigger if there's lots of fine detail in the shot, or if you're shooting in high ISO, typically.

Andy69
03-07-11, 05:13 PM
Thanks for that, is there a resaon that a 10MB camera would usually produce files well under 1MB? I've used other campacts for many years that gave files of approxx 2-3 MB on almost all occasions. I know the MB value of a file is not the be-all-and-end-all of its quality, far from it, but less than 1Mg from a camera spec'ed at 10MB seems strange and they were far higher last month !!! :confused:

Stevekin
05-07-11, 07:12 PM
Again, you are mixing up your megabytes and your megapixels, as NRoberts said,
The S95 is a 10MP (Megapixel) camera.
The size of the files in Megabytes can vary and be determined by a number of factors.
As well as those mentioned by NRoberts above, have you checked the compression setting...Fine or Normal ?
Which ratio have you got set ? 4:3, 16:9, 3:2, 1:1, 4:5 ? All images are smaller than the default 4:3 ratio....fewer pixels. So that would have a bearing on the resultant size in bytes.

Check the camera settings. Then perhaps try checking the EXIF of earlier shots, that you know are larger file sizes, to see if the settings differ.

Andy69
06-07-11, 09:55 PM
Ok, yes- got it now. I have the S95 set to fine quality and 4:3 which shows the smallest number of images available to record on the card, hence I assume it's the finest (highest quality) setting.
There are also settings that control the whiteout and density in the shadows (even on full auto I belive), could I have set these that (unbeknowingly) are increasing the ISO level and perhaps similarly reducing the quality or file size ?

Thanks for your comments to date - I appreciate that. I studied photography 30 years ago but am a (very) late convert to digital.

Stevekin
07-07-11, 08:57 PM
Increasing the ISO is likely to increase the file size.
On it's largest setting and Fine quality, the S95 produces file sizes of ~2.5 MB.
Set to Normal quality, they are ~1.2 MB.
Sounds like at some point, the camera was set to Large & Normal quality.

Andy69
07-07-11, 10:10 PM
Took some interior shots today and results are 2.0 - 2.5 Mg files so I guess that sorted. Ta