PDA

View Full Version : Novice with shakes

kookiez
02-06-11, 11:24 AM
Hi

Just joined and was wondering if anyone could help me. I know this is probably not the best combination but I want to get into photography but due to my disability and medication I suffer from very noticable shakes. I understand that my best bet would be to use a tripod however I am in a wheelchair and tripods do not seem to be the most portable of options. As well as the time it takes to set it up.

Price wise I could probably stretch to 250 but I really do not know where to start. I will probably be taking a range of pictures from wildlife, people, landscapes etc

Thanks for any help you can give me

Kookiez

Blitz Photography & Prod
02-06-11, 11:56 AM
hi Kookiez :)

welcome to wdc after reading what you have wrote is it a compact camera you are looking to buy or a dslr
As for a tripod most shots if your taken photos at faster shutter speeds over 1/60 sec or more then your shakes should not be a problem if you cant work with a tripod then you might want to look at buying a monopod as it can give you some support which is better then trying to hand hold your camera at a slower shutter speed
hope this can be of some help to you
all the best
russ

canismajor
02-06-11, 12:52 PM
Hi

Just joined and was wondering if anyone could help me. I know this is probably not the best combination but I want to get into photography but due to my disability and medication I suffer from very noticable shakes. I understand that my best bet would be to use a tripod however I am in a wheelchair and tripods do not seem to be the most portable of options. As well as the time it takes to set it up.

Price wise I could probably stretch to 250 but I really do not know where to start. I will probably be taking a range of pictures from wildlife, people, landscapes etc

Thanks for any help you can give me

Kookiez
Hi Kookie and welcome to the WDC forum. I agree with Russ concerning a monopod, very quick and easy as well as lightweight. There are plenty of cameras to choose from, and in your price range I would be loking at the Fujifilm S2800HD, which has a 14 megapixel sensor and a great zoom range of 28-504mm which is fine for wildlife and wild birds etc. It also has Image Stabilisation, which together with any fast shutter speed will overcome any perceived problem that you disability presents. A friend has unsteady hands and he always shoots at speeds of at least 250th second, and higher, and he gets nice sharp images. I wish you all the best and hope to see some of your pics one day in the gallery. Mike.

wave
02-06-11, 02:36 PM
Hi and welcome try looking at a Fat Geco it maybe just ant you want

graham_c
02-06-11, 03:10 PM
Hi .
I am a music therapist and have been working with the disabled for years ( mostly learning disabilities ). What i would suggest is as you are in a wheelchair, i would get a platform across your arm rests and then get a gorilla pod and try that. Something we did for a man who is wheelchair bound and his hands shook quite badly ,was we got a blacksmith to build a frame that sat across his knees and fitted a guitar to it.... good luck ,graham

graham_c
02-06-11, 05:27 PM
check this link out it may be helpful...g raham
http://rollingfstop.blogspot.com/2008/12/camera-mount-for-wheelchair-photography.html