PDA

View Full Version : New camera for holiday decision time

podgey
01-06-11, 12:00 AM
Hi im after peoples opinions, im going away and would like to buy a new decent digital camera

This is the comparison between the ones im looking at:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_sx230hs&products=sony_dschx5&products=sony_dschx9v&products=sony_dschx7v&sortDir=ascending

I like the idea of the gps feature, which should i go for between these? I didt realise how complex it could be picking a camera!

Any help would be appriciated in pros and cons, its between the canon and the hx5

Thanks!!

canismajor
01-06-11, 11:26 AM
Hi im after peoples opinions, im going away and would like to buy a new decent digital camera

This is the comparison between the ones im looking at:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_sx230hs&products=sony_dschx5&products=sony_dschx9v&products=sony_dschx7v&sortDir=ascending

I like the idea of the gps feature, which should i go for between these? I didt realise how complex it could be picking a camera!

Any help would be appriciated in pros and cons, its between the canon and the hx5

Thanks!!
Hi Podgy. I've looked at your cameras, and personally I don't like digital zooms which is what these cameras offer. Optical zooms seem superior, but it will help if you state your budget and then this will determine which cameras will be suitable for your requirements. All the best, Mike.

podgey
01-06-11, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, im looking at upto 300, the cannon has 14x digital zoom im not after a mega camera i just dont want to get a cheap 80 one from argos with no optical zoom thats why i thought them ones on the comparion looked good!

canismajor
01-06-11, 11:52 AM
Hi, I would suggest the Panasonic FZ45, which scored 90% in the test. It has 14mp and a huge zoom of 25-600mm which is great for sport and wildlife. It features an OPTICAL zoom of 24x, and HD movie mode. The RRP is 349, but nobody pays retail prices these days and you'll find cameras like these for much cheaper than their list price. I wish you all success, Mike.

podgey
01-06-11, 11:12 PM
This is so much of a mine field, which should i go with from my original choice, the cannon or one of the sonys the hx5 i need to pick one soon and get it ordered, thans for the panasonic reccomendation but it is out of my price range, which would be better out of the cannon and the hx5 model out of my comparison?

Thanks :) please help me out lol im not well up on cameras, i want a compact one.

canismajor
02-06-11, 09:47 AM
This is so much of a mine field, which should i go with from my original choice, the cannon or one of the sonys the hx5 i need to pick one soon and get it ordered, thans for the panasonic reccomendation but it is out of my price range, which would be better out of the cannon and the hx5 model out of my comparison?

Thanks :) please help me out lol im not well up on cameras, i want a compact one.
The Panasonic FZ45 is actually cheaper than the Sony HX5, that's why I would go for it, and it has more mp (14) than the Sony, which has 10mp. The FZ45 also has a longer optical zoom, so in all it seems to be a better choice. Going cheaper, there's the Panasonic DMC-TZ18, (RRP 269) which has full HD movie mode, and a zoom of 24-384mm, and has a 14mp sensor. Even cheaper (RRP 199) is the Fujifilm S2800 HD, 14mp, and a zoom of 28-504mm. There's also the S1800, same zoom but this one has a viewfinder.Same price too. Plenty of choice, it's up to you, so all the best, Mike.

podgey
02-06-11, 07:38 PM
Thanks for that, i dont want a big camera like the panasonic one just a small compact one, if you had to pick from my original list which would you go for out of them?

canismajor
03-06-11, 06:52 AM
Thanks for that, i dont want a big camera like the panasonic one just a small compact one, if you had to pick from my original list which would you go for out of them?
I would go for the HX9V, because of its superior screen resolution and its 16mp sensor. Hope this is of use to you. All the best, Mike.

podgey
05-06-11, 05:29 PM
would there be much difference between the hx5 and the 9 in picture quality? i like the gps feature i dont think the hx9v has that :-/

canismajor
06-06-11, 10:54 AM
would there be much difference between the hx5 and the 9 in picture quality? i like the gps feature i dont think the hx9v has that :-/
Both the HX5 and 9 have GPS built in, and as for the picture quality, owing to it's 16mp against the HX5s 10mp, as stated in the last post I would opt for the HX9. Of course you must make your own decision based on your own requirements, and in that I wish you all success. All the best, Mike.

podgey
07-06-11, 02:34 PM
ok thanks for all the help, one last question where is the best place/cheapest in the uk to buy the camera from?

DEEGEEBEE
09-06-11, 09:41 PM
I dont know, we're all going pixel crazy..well my old nikon d70 only has 6 megapixels but i am producing cracking quality a3 prints. Buy a decent used d70 or d70s for about 200 squid. The only problem you may encounter is a dirty sensor which you can clean with eclipse fluid and type 2 swabs not cheap but worth it. Spare compact flash cards and battery pack..happy snapping..king regards ..david