PDA

View Full Version : If you could only give one piece of advice to a newbie....

daft_biker
08-12-09, 08:11 PM
.....what would it be?

I'd go for learn to use exposure compensation.

giacomelli
08-12-09, 10:01 PM
For a very Noob I would say "don't ask 'what camera should I buy?'" but get some ideas from the reviews and then visit a store and find out for what is best for them :-) This isnt easy advice too follow on some fora.

RogerMac
08-12-09, 11:09 PM
Take a lot of pictures and be very self-critical of the results

TheFatControlleR
09-12-09, 09:08 AM
Understand the aperture/shutter speed/depth of field relationship.

OneTen
10-12-09, 03:33 PM
Think about what you want the final image to look like, then consider the composition and exposure values to achieve this.

Barney
06-01-10, 03:56 PM
Think about what you want the final image to look like, then consider the composition and exposure values to achieve this.

Along a similar line I'd say before you put the camera to the eye think about what you want to achieve with an image and what compositional and technical elements will help you achieve that.

Fen
07-01-10, 10:44 AM
Look behind you!

Sometimes the best picture isn't always in front of you. Look around and see what else is there.

Barney
12-01-10, 04:09 PM
Look behind you!

Sometimes the best picture isn't always in front of you. Look around and see what else is there.

Yeah, like a PCSO. ;)

Luis_Rubim
12-01-10, 08:27 PM
just go out and take pictures!

Mike Lowe
08-02-10, 03:28 PM
Understand the aperture/shutter speed/depth of field relationship.

Yeah, that's the initial thing. I remember learning this many years ago at school. So many flummoxed faces, was quite amusing.

Matt
08-02-10, 04:20 PM
Don't buy over your means. it always drives me mad to see people buying a DSLR and using 10% of the functionality, then leaving it at home as it's too big. There are so many cracking compacts out there but people shy away from them because the current trend is for a removable lens system.

Paul Nuttall
08-02-10, 05:27 PM
I agree with one of the previous comments. The best way to improve is to get out there and take photos.

shaun2k
09-02-10, 09:51 AM
how a camera actually works in practice and theory, once you understand the workings and technology you will find it easier to understand light and other factors which are key to success.

NRoberts
09-02-10, 09:00 PM
Don't be afraid to try things - and learn from your mistakes.